June 25, 2013
Originally published a year ago – and James is still virtually tremor free!
For years, my husband, James, has struggled with a condition called “essential tremors,” also known as “familial tremors.” Essential tremors are a slowly progressive neurological disorder of which the most recognizable feature is a tremor of the arms or hands.
James’ tremors started to manifest in his early forties, and increased over the course of time. The shaking has always been more noticeable after any sort of physical or emotional stress: after mowing the yard, heavy lifting, walking in the heat, lack of sleep, fatigue, or during emotionally stressful times. At times, his symptoms would intensify to a point where even holding a glass of water steady was impossible.
This nagging condition even manifested on Sunday mornings when James would step into the pulpit. While the tremors are not debilitating, they can be very frustrating; and, at times, they have impacted my husband’s ability to write or even hold a fork steady.
So, we began to research how supplements, diet, and even essential oils may help.
One of the first signs of a dopamine deficiency is the occurrence of tremors, which often first appear in the hands. – Livestrong.com
We looked for solutions; but, like Katherine Hepburn (who also had Essential Tremors), we never really found much hope. Part of the reason for that may be that scientists are still trying to understand the reasons why these tremors occur in the first place.
There is so much about the brain, and our fearfully/wonderfully made bodies, that is simply unknown. Recently James read a report linking essential tremors to a vitamin B12 deficiency. Another study, based on brain autopsies from 50 deceased essential tremors patients showed a pattern of “messy” neurofilaments, which can impede nerve impulses, as well as abnormalities with neurons that produce GABA, a major inhibitory neurotransmitter. Problems with a variant of the DRD3 gene, as well as dopamine levels and their responses, may also be to blame.
It is interesting to note that low dopamine levels are associated with Parkinson’s Disease, which also cause involuntary tremors (manifested somewhat differently, however).
Wolfberry (the main ingredient in Young Living’s Ningxia Red) contains 1.4% of the branched chain amino acid L-leucine as well as significant amounts of tyrosine which is a key building block for dopamine production. Dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter in the brain that decreases with age. – Essential Oil Desk Reference
Based on this information, we decided to find ways to improve James’ health and hopefully alleviate some of his symptoms. The results have been amazing!
James has been drinking a few drops of peppermint in his water daily for over a year; which, in addition to health benefits, has also helped him cut back significantly on his coffee intake (caffeine exacerbates the problem). Though starting the True Source multivitamins, the NingXia Red (2-oz. per day), and drinking 2-3 (20 oz.) glasses of “peppermint water” each day demonstrated the first and most dramatic improvement, we added to his protocol, and this is the daily regimen he is currently on:
- True Source™ Multivitamin Packs: Composed with dried superfood powders, whole food vitamins and minerals, and other nutrients, (B vitamins, vitamins A, C, D, E and K, folic acid, selenium, zinc, potassium, iodine, and magnesium).
- Super B: Super B is a comprehensive vitamin complex containing eight essential and energy-boosting B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12. The complete B-vitamin profile in Super B not only assists in maintaining healthy energy levels, but it also supports the nervous system, aids in maintaining normal cardiovascular function, and helps with internal enzyme reactions.
- Ningxia Red (2-3 oz. per day): NingXia Red is a nutrient-infused wolfberry drink that energizes, fortifies, and replenishes your body. NingXia Red is rich in wide-spectrum antioxidant activity and contains 1.4% of the branched chain amino acid L-leucine as well as significant amounts of tyrosine which is a key building block for dopamine production. Dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter in the brain that decreases with age.
- Essential Oils: Diffused and inhaled, applied topically, or even ingested, essential oils can trigger the secretion of antibodies, neurotransmitters, endorphins, hormones, and enzymes, strengthening the body’s own ability to heal itself and maintain optimal health: Lavender, peppermint, cedar wood, myrrh, basil, Peace & Calming blend, Valor blend, Tranquil Blend (lavender, cedarwood, and chamomile), and Brain Power blend have proven to be helpful with neurological challenges, so he has been using many of these (but mostly Peppermint, Abundance, Frankincense, and Valor). Essential oils also help decrease stress, which is a big factor with Essential Tremors.
After doing more research, James plans to start taking the following when our next Essential Reward order comes in:
- Young Living’s Multigreens Capsules: MultiGreens™ is a nutritious chlorophyll formula designed to boost vitality by working with the glandular, nervous, and circulatory systems.* MultiGreens is made with spirulina, alfalfa sprouts, barley grass, bee pollen, eleuthero, Pacific kelp, and therapeutic-grade essential oils. MultiGreens contains L-tyrosine, which supports the production of neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin.
- Mineral Essence: A balanced, full-spectrum ionic mineral complex enhanced with essential oils. According to two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling PhD. “You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency.” Ionic minerals are the most fully and quickly absorbed form of minerals available.
- Omega Blue: Omega Blue™ is a clinically proven dose of omega-3 (EPA, DHA) fatty acid nutrients. Critical for heart, eye, brain, and joint health.
- Sulfurzyme provides a source of organic sulfur and vital nutrient for nerve and myelin sheath formation.
While James still has occasional tremors, his condition has significantly improved! And this reduction has been in the midst of a particularly stressful season of ministry! We have found that prayer, combined with God’s gift of the medicines and supplements (supplied by Him at Creation through plants, flowers, and trees) have truly changed the way we pursue answers to our family’s health needs.
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. (Psalm 139:13)
Science is still baffled when it comes to the issues of life; but, we know that our Creator knows our intricate parts well. Jesus is our Great Physician, and His Creation declares His glory (Job 12:7–9). He has given us “their leaves for medicine” (Ezekiel 47:12) and the vegetation for the “service of man” (Psalm 104:14).
God is our ultimate provider. In Genesis 22:14, He is called Jehovah Jireh, which is Hebrew for “the Lord will provide.” When we sing the doxology, we “praise God from whom all blessings flow.” In James 1:17 we’re reminded that “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights.”
Thank you, Lord!
If want to start using essential oils to care for your own family, I would recommend buying them wholesale. Why pay retail when you don’t have to? It’s kind of like being a Costco member, but without the yearly fee. In fact, there isn’t a fee to becoming a wholesale customer at all. The only requirement is the purchase of a starter kit. Find out more HERE.
The information provided in this article is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to prescribe, diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. It is your responsibility to educate yourself and address any health or medical needs you may have with your physician. Please seek professional help when needed.