July 18, 2012
Diffusing is my absolute favorite way to use essential oils! Whether I’m filling my home with some scrumptious scent, dealing with sickness, or combating odors, germs, or viruses, diffusing therapeutic-grade essential oils is important to me for improving the health and wellness of our family—both physically and emotionally. I also love the way it adds beauty to the atmosphere of our home.
Recently, the children were behaving like they had all been given sugar intravenously. The noise level was beyond reasonable…and the children were pretty loud too! ;-) I decided to try diffusing Peace and Calming in the main room of our house. My youngest daughter came downstairs and saw the soothing mist coming from my Home Diffuser. She smiled, cuddled up beside me with her book, and told me how goooood it smelled. Then she opened her book and seemed to settle down.
(Peace and Calming is actually not my first choice for diffusing, but it worked great that day. I prefer to use in the bottoms of their feet before bed time – it helps them settle down for a good rest!) For diffusing, I much prefer Thieves, Sacred Mountain, Transformation, Frankincense & Orange, Magnify Your Purpose, Gentle Baby, Three Wise Men, Christmas Spirit, Sensation, or Purification.
I’m not sure if the children actually got quieter, or if I was just better able to handle the noise, responding with a bit more gentleness; however, I do know my emotions (and theirs) were influenced by the soothing aroma.
A diffuser is also indispensable when a family member has a cold or cough. Especially when cold and flu season are in full swing, I view my diffuser as one of the most important health tools I have! I diffuse the Thieves blend (which contains: clove, lemon, cinnamon, Eucalyptus, radiata, and rosemary) to cleanse and freshen the air. Read more about the amazing benefits of Thieves HERE.
Diffusing essential oils is a great way to relieve stress, cleanse the air, gently introduce healing oils into our bodies, and create in our homes an all around pleasant and peaceful atmosphere. I love to see the quiet mist and hear the relaxing music (which is optional) coming from my Aria diffuser. In the evening, I like to turn on the soft lights, giving the room a romantic glow.
Primary Benefits of the Aria Diffuser (featured above)
- Elegant ultrasonic mist gives any space a spa-like atmosphere. Set the mood by selecting from a range of LED light colors.
- Natural materials like a durable American maple base and glass dome direct the essential oil vapor.
- Matching wood remote control allows you to turn on the Aria from any spot in the room.
- Choose from twelve minutes of relaxing music played through internal speakers or plug in your own personal music player with the provided AV cord and listen to any music you choose (iPod, iPhone etc.)
Read more HERE
I have a few diffusers in my home. I use the Aria in my living room because it’s beautiful and I love to see the soft mist coming from the clear glass. In the basement, and in the bedroom when someone is sick, I use the Home Diffuser. Young Living just came out with the new Home Diffuser shown below:
Young Living’s Home Diffuser emits essential oils into the air using ultrasonic technology to safely eliminate odors. The Home Diffuser is a natural alternative to synthetic air fresheners.
Home Diffuser combines the latest in diffuser technology with increased usability. By breaking up a mixture of water and essential oil into millions of micro-particles, the Home Diffuser disperses an aromatic mist into the air, activating the beneficial constituents found in Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ essential oils. Ideal for diffusing any of your favorite essential oils, it’s the perfect addition to any room in your home.
The Home Diffuser includes a free 5 ml bottle of Lavender and Citrus Fresh essential oils.
Note to new Independent Distributors and Wholesale Customers: Your Starter Kit included a valuable $40.00 OFF coupon for a diffuser! Don’t forget to use it! For information on how to get wholesale prices CLICK HERE
Diffusing to Eliminate Odors
Diffused therapeutic-grade essential oils alter the structure of molecules that create odors, rather than simply masking them. They are also said to increase oxygen availability and produce negative ions.
History of Diffusing
Though essential oils have been used therapeutically for many centuries, the term “aromatherapy” was coined in the early ’20′s by French chemist René-Maurice Gattefossé. Gattefossé spent his life devoted to essential oils and their healing properties. However, for more than 6,000 years prior to Gattefossé, aromatherapy had been used by the Egyptians, Romans, and the Greeks. Imhotep, an Egyptian physician, suggested that oils be used for massage, bathing, and embalming the dead. Hippocrates, known as the father of modern medicine, used aromatic smoke and vapors to purge Athens of the plague.
There have been a lot of interesting theories regarding the effects of diffusing essential oils, which can be considered similar to the aromatic smoke used in ancient times. It has been hypothesized that when essential oils are diffused, they can increase atmospheric oxygen by releasing oxygenating molecules into the air. Not only can essential oils increase oxygen in the atmosphere, they may also increase the body’s ability to transport oxygen into the cells. The lipid-soluble structure of essential oils allows them to easily penetrate the cell membranes of the nose and enter into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, the oils can help transport oxygen and nutrients into the cells.
Two Tips for Selecting the Right Diffuser
There are many types of diffusers on the market today, here are a few things you should know in order to make an educated decision.
- It is very bad practice to use a diffuser that uses heat as a means of dispersing the essential oil into the air. Heat fractures the molecules of the essential oil destroying the beneficial properties. While an essential oil may still smell good, it contains very little if any therapeutic benefit. Types of diffusers that use heat and are NOT recommended are: plug-ins, candles, tea lamp burners, aroma lamps, and light bulb rings.
- The Home Diffuser is the most economical everyday diffuser, so it’s a good choice for getting started.
- The travel diffuser, simply “blows” the essential oil into the air, so I don’t consider it a true diffuser. However, it could be used as its name states, for traveling. It may be especially useful in a car or van.
- If you are eliminating or preventing a mold situation, I recommend the TheraPro Premium Diffuser or the Bronze Essential Oil Diffuser shown below. The other diffusers are not recommended for mold because they will not provide a shock-treatment to combat mold, as others are dispersed with water.
Bronze Essential Oil Diffuser (Cold-air, Nebulizer)
The benefits of the “Essential Oil Diffuser” are that it puts the essential oil into the air in micro-fine particles that stay suspended in the air for several hours. This is beneficial because in order to kill micro-organisms and mold you must get the essential oil into the air so that it can come into contact with the molecules or mold spores that you are looking to eliminate. The Essential Oil Diffuser disperses essential oils without heating them so they retain their therapeutic benefits.
TheraPro Premium Diffuser
Enjoy the ultimate therapeutic experience and the most advanced diffuser technology with Young Living’s TheraPro™ Premium Diffuser. This atomizing diffuser features durable, high-quality components that will stand up to repeated use in any environment and is the ideal way to experience the healing benefits of Young Living essential oils.
Includes free 15 ml bottle of Thieves essential oil.
Read more HERE
Travel Fan Diffuser (battery operated)
Get the wellness benefits of aromatherapy on the go in this easy to use portable Travel Fan Diffuser!
Perfect for bathrooms, cars, and smelly hotel rooms!
The Travel Fan Diffuser is a perfect way to help relieve tension, dispel odors, and create an atmosphere of peace and harmony in the car, office cubicle, and hotel rooms. It works by blowing room temperature air across the pad that you have placed drops of the essential oil of your choice.
Unique Features of the Travel Fan Diffuser
- Entirely mobile – easy to take anywhere!
- No electricity needed – battery operated
- Quiet and powerful mini fan
- Will gently scent a small room or vehicle
- Lightweight design
- Perfect for: cars; hotel rooms; office cubicles; sleep-overs; schools; and hospital rooms and nursing home visits.
Check out the way some emergency rooms are using essential oils!