August 21, 2012
15 Things to Know When You First Begin Using Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils…
- YL oils labeled as “supplements” are able to be used internally. Click HERE to read what “therapeutic grade” means and why it’s so important.
- Peppermint is probably the most useful oil on the planet. Always make sure you have enough.
- If you ever need to dilute an essential oil because of sensitive skin, and you don’t have a carrier oil available, do not use water; use anything that contains ‘fat’… such as full fat yogurt, butter, full fat milk or cream. It’s the ‘fat’ that dilutes your essential oils. Also, milk or cream is the best choice to use if you ever accidentally get essential oils in your eyes.
- If Frankincense was precious to Jesus, it should be precious to us too!
- Essential oils that ‘may’ require a carrier oil for topical use: PanAway, Peppermint, Basil, any of the Eucalyptus, any of the citrus (Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Bergamot*), Myrrh, Myrtle, and Melissa. Though most of those oils I use neat (undiluted).
- Essential oils that should (almost) always be diluted with a carrier oil for topical use: Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Wintergreen, Oregano, Thyme, Lemongrass, Black Pepper, Patchouli, Mountain Savory, Nutmeg, Marjoram, Balsam Fir, Coriander, Cypress, Galbanum, Pine, Ravensara, Ocotea. Again, I said “almost.”
- “Neat” means undiluted
- Diffusing essential oils (with a cold-air diffuser) alleviates stress, cleanses the air, and creates a pleasant atmosphere in the home.
- The Essential Rewards program is THE most cost effective way to earn points for free oils and build your medicine cabinet.
- Good “carrier oils” are: sweet almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil, or jojoba oil.
- Peace and Calming blend is the very best oil blend for little ones (and big ones0 who need a good night sleep!
- How to afford essential oils!
- Mixing essential oils with sea salt or Epsom Salt prior to adding them to your bath water allows the essential oil to stay evenly dispersed in the water (instead of floating on top).
- There are approximately 250 drops in a 15 ml bottle of essential oil
- Hide the peppermint oil from your husband or he’ll use it all!
* Note: Citrus essential oils can make skin photosensitive.