June 12, 2014 by Stacy McDonald

Five random things friends may or may not know about me…

twoteacups
1. I am an introvert.

It surprised me too. I thought that because I had been a chatterbox since grade school this meant I was an extrovert. I will talk your ear off once we get settled into conversation, but in a large group setting, I may feel intimidated by forced chit chat.

I prefer a quiet room with a few friends to a room full of celebration and noise. The noise, stimulation, and stress of multiple conversations and small talk are exhausting to me…the very thing that charges my husband and gives him energy! No joke!

2. I hate public speaking.

It takes me weeks to mentally prepare for a presentation. Years ago, my husband pushed me out of my comfort zone and I began speaking to women about various Titus 2 subjects. The first time I was given a microphone, I wasn’t sure if I was going to throw up or have a heart attack…or both. This went on for years.

I did finally get used to it; and I no longer pray for the earth to open up and swallow me before I reach the stage each and every time. Once I’m actually speaking, I’m okay. But the weeks (and especially hours) before I speak still cause me a great deal of stress and anxiety. I read my notes about 500 times and tweak them about 800 times.

I still speak (very) occasionally, but my dear husband has been merciful and has allowed me to fade back into the shadows over the last few years. If I never have to speak publicly again, I will be very happy. Is that selfish?

3. Two of my biggest pet peeves are:

When someone is falsely accused:

My kids all know that I can’t watch a movie where someone is falsely accused. My heart races, I shake, I get angry, I fuss at the characters; and, much to my family’s amusement, I usually wind up heading up the stairs in exasperation because I (or my adrenals) just can’t take it anymore!

When someone is picked on:

I tend to get emotional about bullying. Whether it’s mocking on the Internet, gossip, or physical cruelty, there is something in me that rises up to defend the underdog—sometimes I even overreact. Even with my own kids, I have zero toleration for taunting, mocking, or mean teasing. Zero.

Some of you know a little about my own childhood. A full metal Milwaukee Back Brace (Google it sometime) and public school didn’t mix well. Of course, I’m not sure what mixes well with public school. MSG maybe?

People can be mean. Even little people. Give me a Zombie any day. People are scary.

4. I hate tea and I love coffee. But only with plenty of cream and evaporated cane juice. Where I’m from a “Ladies Tea” is more like a “women’s get-together” with dainty foods and refreshments. You don’t actually have to have tea. So if you come to my house for a Ladies Tea, don’t be surprised if I hand you a Latte.

5. I love, love, love writing and sharing about things that have impacted my life for the good. I get excited. Whether it’s homeschooling, mommy tips, essential oils, child birth, the topic of femininity & purity, natural health, or quinoa (yes, I really do love quinoa!), it makes me happy to share about things and ways God has blessed me.

It doesn’t mean I’m telling you what to do. And it doesn’t mean that I think you have to homeschool or eat quinoa to be my friend or to be “holy” or any other such nonsense. People make some wild leaps. It just means I love sharing about what I love. And that usually includes giving examples from my own life.

And when I share from my own life, I’m not saying, “Look at my life and be like me because I’m so cool” anymore than you are implying that you’re an amazing chef and everyone should eat only Italian food when you share your favorite spaghetti recipe with a friend. Seriously.

I guess I was feeling contemplative today. Back to my grocery list.

6 Responses to “Five random things friends may or may not know about me…”

1. Theresa says:

My husband and I are the same as your #1. I guess it is a good balance ;) I feel the same way as #2 & #3 :)

2. Greta says:

Mrs. McDonald, I’ve read your blog for years. I can’t tell you how encouraging you’ve been to me personally.

We would probably diverge on some issues, but I have to admit that your winsome, kind-hearted attitude toward your readers makes me excited every time I see a new blog post.

Thank you for sharing your heart and wisdom with us out here. It’s wonderful to see a godly older woman who stands for truth and defends it with grace.

3. Kelly T. says:

Thank you for sharing about yourself. I think the biggest surprise for me is that tea isn’t your “cup of tea” LOL. Especially since I if I remember correctly you owned a tea room in Texas? I think that’s neat! I actually prefer tea over coffee but I “use” coffee to get going in the morning. I am so thankful for all your writings over the years. You have a wonderful ministry. Blessings dear sister…..

Yes, we did own a tea room. I actually do like herbal tea; I just don’t like “real” tea. But typically, I just sipped coffee out of a pretty tea cup at the tea room! ;-)

5. Jody Dake says:

I am #1 exactly! The thing is, my husband pretty much is too. Weird, huh? I used to be the opposite, but crowds and conversations can go south quickly and I think I really got tired of “stuff,” and now I am perfectly content to be in my little “hobbit hole.” :)
    #2 Yep! That’s me! That’s all I gotta say…

#3 I agree, I usually tend to gravitate towards those people who others talk about or are “different” in whatever way; always been that way, so I have taught my children to be that way.

#4 I LOVE sweet Southern Tea, we are in TN! But, trying to forego the sugar, so I have learned to drink herbal teas, with NO sweetener. The mornings are always jasmine green tea from BHS, and then sometimes different ones throughout the day. I canNOT drink coffee, I just don’t like it, nor my husband, so we’re good.

#5 Yes, love this one!
    Learning to love quinoa, it’s new from THM.
    God has taught me so much I feel He wants me to give, share, teach the “younger women” the wisdom He has showed me over the years.
    Trying to learn a bit about essential oils, but my brain can only handle so many things, HA!

Thanks, Stacy, it’s just good to know you are real too :) .

Always Experiencing Him,
    Jody

6. ellie rae says:

You need to learn to drink tea the British way. Fully boil your water, don’t merely heat it (merely heating it makes the brew weak and bitter with a white foam ring around the inside of the cup). Use a British blend black tea (I recommend Tetley British Blend). British tea is strong and mellow, whereas American tea is weak and bitter. After the bag has steeped for 3 to 5 minutes, take it out. Now, add sugar (I use turbinado sugar — unrefined cane sugar, but any kind will do). Then add about 1/8 cup COLD milk. Stir well and drink. Remember to fully boil that water. Don’t forget the sugar and milk.