October 21, 2013 by Stacy McDonald

Three Signs that Christians have been Desensitized by Feminism

callmemadam2

I’ve been thinking about the way we’re all so prone to acclimate to our surroundings. We are indoctrinated on a daily basis, often, without knowing it. That’s why it’s so important to stay in the Word of God. But it’s more than just reading it; we also need to absorb it, and apply it to every area of life. We need to evaluate all of our choices in life–all of our actions, to the principles found in Scripture.

Feminism is a good example of the way we’ve been indoctrinated by a worldview that is at war with God. The roles of men and women are turned upside down and inside out. Homosexuality threatens to do even more damage, bringing with it all sorts of perversion and misery. Just like its predecessor, feminism, it seeks to destroy the biblical family.

But it starts out subtle. For example, note the following three signs that even we, as Christians, have been desensitized by feminism:

1. We might find it a bit odd for a 12-year-old boy to play baby dolls with his friends, but we often don’t even flinch to 12-year-old girls playing combat games or rough, contact sports.
  2. Most Christians still agree that wives should submit, remaining under the authority of their husbands, but we often act as though we believe a single woman is an independent creature, under no one’s authority but her own.
  3. Because we’re used to it, we are fine with women dressing like men (this wouldn’t have been so 100 years ago); but, when a man dresses like a woman, we are still repulsed.

Of course, just as the acceptance of feminism has helped shape our modern culture, so will the acceptance of homosexuality effect our future. It could be that, in 50 years, the sight of a man in a dress will be no big deal either. How many other areas of life do we accept simply because it’s “always been that way” in our particular life time?How often do we stop and think, and question whether or not we’re teaching our children to walk in ways that encourage lifestyles that line up with Scripture?

25 Responses to “Three Signs that Christians have been Desensitized by Feminism”

1. Thandi says:

So true. And sad.

Good powerful post. Who would a single woman be under?

Certain pants or shorts can be very feminine, while a dress can’t be masculine, though; I also don’t think anyone finds a 12-year-old girl dressed in a butch or sloppy way attractive; only recently did I see, for the first time, a cartoon of Rosie the Riveter, and was honestly disgusted. There is luckily still a visible difference between a woman dressing in pants and one looking like a man; the comparison between Rosie the Riveter and the other common symbol, of a feminine woman flashing her strong biceps, is a good example. It is also true, as far as dolls vs. tough sports, that a female’s tastes might range farther than a male’s in some cases; I, for example, enjoy some war stories as well as lovely books with flowers and teapots (how many men can say the same, by virtue of their own interests even aside from societal definitions? Honestly, I am so lucky to be a woman!)

3. Mrs. Abella says:

Thank you for sharing this! I hadn’t thought of our responses like that, but it does make sense. Our world has changed so much, in a bad way, where ladies and girls are given a feminist fantasy and sold a bunch of lies.

It’d be wonderful to go back to the days where women’s and men’s roles were definitely known and well defined. We were watching Little House last night, and it was so nice seeing Ma doing the jobs inside the home while Pa worked the more strenuous jobs of working at the mill or plowing the field or chopping wood, and even the girls’ work was defined. If that were to be brought up today, you’d hear women screaming about how unfair it is to be in the kitchen or tending the family….when that’s where the Lord put us naturally, as keepers of the home.

4. Cyndi Lewis says:

Guilty! Very sad.

5. Katie says:

How much do we distinguish areas? Should we be bothered by female interests in cars or football or hockey? by male interests in knitting or playing the flute or cake decorating? Where’s the line between taking interest in a variety of things and being inappropriate to one’s own sex?

6. […] desensitized by our feministic culture that it’s difficult to recognize the signs. Check out Three Signs that Christians have been Desensitized by Feminism. Dressing modestly, but in a distinctly feminine fashion, is our way of living out the biblical […]

7. Gina Grant says:

For the past year I have been wearing more dresses on an everyday basis. It is interesting to note how the young women look at me. They notice the men noticing me, how the men open doors for me, and in general act more gentlemanly around me. I hope it makes a difference in their lives.

8. masondan says:

Great article! These are the same points that I have been trying to make. God bless and keep up the great work!

Hi Katie – In this short post, there is no way to be thorough without giving a few hundred thousand clarifiers. :-). I was talking in generalities and demonstrating the inconsistencies we have, which I believe is likely due to feminism. If we try to turn any of these things into wooden rules or taboos, I think we’ll be on dangerous turf, but it should be food for thought, as we consider how our own tastes have been shaped by a culture at war with God.

10. […] culture that it’s difficult to recognize the signs of our indoctrination. Check out Three Signs that Christians have been Desensitized by Feminism to see what I mean. Dressing modestly, but in a distinctly feminine fashion, is my daughter’s […]

11. Pamela says:

To Katie: sometimes we forget that professional pursuits such as music performance and baking pastries were once exclusively the domain of men. Some things happened along the cultural way, not the least of which was the opening of these professions to women, which led us to believe that decorating cakes and playing the flute are intrinsically feminine. The fact is, we need to look to Scripture for how we define gender roles, not cultural expectations. Perhaps more of our young men might be inspired by Jubal to play the flute themselves! ;) (My youngest son is a flute student because my mom handed down to him her excellent instrument, and for his sake I enjoy noticing the men flutists in a group. His flute teacher is also a young man. )

Baking pastries may have only been done professionaly by men once, but never ONLY by men. I don’t think God had male and female roles as rigidly defined as society ever did, by what kind of rooms they were standing in (kitchen or tannery?) or what they could do, like medicine or art.

“To Katie: sometimes we forget that professional pursuits such as music performance and baking pastries were once exclusively the domain of men”

Which they never, ever should have been. Many people had it then that men could have everything from metal crafting to painting to cake-making to baby delivering, while women couldn’t do a single one of the these things professionally (with the possible exception of midwifing); how incredibly unnatural!! Imagine a woman’s natural gift in medicine, childbirth, and making meals being restricted as though these were exclusively male gifts! It’s really as huge a nasty joke as the idea that single women can replace fathers.

Oh yeah, and poetry. A mainly male gift, HA! I defy anyone to conclusively claim that “male” or “female” writing is naturally better.

Ok, rant over.

15. Pamela says:

Jennifer, your passionate response to my comment makes me wonder if maybe you misunderstood my share in the conversation. ? I was calling into question some of the cultural limitations represented by Katie’s comment.

As Stacy said, and as I echoed: Scripture is necessary to the discussion of gender lifestyles. Clearly woman is equally gifted by God with His Spirit of knowledge, understanding, and wisdom; there should be no question of that. The question, then, is one of how those gifts are applied. And, of course, how much we have to sweat to exercise them. ;) jk

Oh I understood you were mainly defending men’s aptness at things that some might consider feminine, and just pointing out that in history they were exclusively male. It was history’s mistake that I was miffed with, not you.

17. Barbara says:

Good blog post. Thank you for bringing up the point about single women needing to be under authority. Although I am happily married, I see the need for single gals to submit to proper authority — we all need to be accountable. When we are not, there is always trouble.

What proper authority would that be, Barbara?

Jennifer,

That would start with the first God-given authority in her life…her father. If he falls down on the job, it would be the father of a family who may be willing to take her into their home and/or, of course, her elders.

20. Judy says:

Good article; thanks. I wear dresses, for many reasons including feminity and modesty, but sad to say it’s Christians who have a negative response. Although I *never* expect others to do so, or even bring up the subject, they criticize me for having a “religious spirit”.

21. Diana says:

Good morning. I just reread this article and was ashamed. While claiming to be a Bible believing Christian, I am guilty of all of these signs.

I am single and in my late forties. Thankfully, my father is still alive but it is he who taught me to work and be independent. Marriage was never really discussed. I would like to be under authority of a husband, but, until the Lord sends him, where can I go? I have been much more open with my Pastor, but it’s not the same.

Anyway, thank you for the article. It’s given me much food for thought.

22. Allyce says:

These are good reminders to Christian ladies. Feminism has infiltrated our lives more than we might expect. As a younger Christian, graduate of a good traditional Christian university, then educator in CDS, I admit that these erroneous ideas affected my thinking. It is something I still have to work on, as many women down through the ages have had to do – regardless of the stated ideals of feminism. Eve is the one who started it all…

Also, I have been concerned about the lack of femininity among our Christian girls and young women. Unfortunately, it seems to be lacking in their mothers as well. Feminism seems to lead to lack of femininity.

This might be partly due to the emphasis that has been put on equality during the past couple of generations. One area where this is seen is with the sports programs of today. It used to be that there were “boy sports” & “girl sports”.

For me, it is fine for girls to play soccer, as long as their uniforms are modest. However, these teams are often co-ed, with girls playing along side or opposite boys. They are taught to “play like a girl” – really meaning “play like a boy”. I do not like to see girls playing football, wrestling, etc., especially with boys.

And I have to admit that I used to be a “tom boy”. I liked to play outside games with my brothers rather than dolls with my sisters. We always wore skirts, not matter what we played. We rode bikes, played ball, etc. in skirts. Sometimes this was not modest…

Then came equality in vocations. Girls can do anything boys can do, maybe better. Obviously this is true in some cases. However, there are some jobs that I would prefer girls not pursue. We have already seen many problems with women in the military, doing the same jobs as men. There are certain military jobs that have proved to be very valuable which women have performed to support the fighting men. In the past the genders were kept separate to the degree possible. However, women are now wanting to be on the front-lines, fighting along side men. Biology should inform us that this is not a worthy goal for women.

When girls/ women try to be equal with men, something good is lost. The feminine gender has special part to play in the universe – one that the masculine gender cannot play. Maybe we need to work on emphasizing this to our young ladies.

23. Rachel says:

I have wondered about the double-standards about dressing. Everyone criticized guys and skinny jeans (I think they are too androgynous for both sexes often; how you style them matter, and immodest pretty much all the time), but no one criticizes girls and athletic clothes and sweatpants! Just because something is in the women’s department doesn’t make it feminine! There is a verse in the Bible that calls that sin, but with this “Christian Liberty” issue no one wants to call any girl out about jeans, and if anyone does the response is, “Oh, but there are girl and guy pants.” But looking a guy jeans for my brother; well, some of the styles were the same for girls and guys! I know when the Old Testament was written men wore robes, but the clothing was obviously distinctive enough for that verse to be written.
    I think the activities issue is confusing also. If I have daughters I want them to exercise, but there are certain sports that are decidedly masculine like football. There is also the tendency to tomboyishness with sports. And I think there is a huge difference between playing organized sports and playing in the backyard. I only played one year of organized sports because I was afraid of being a tomboy. I think some of it is play by ear…maybe. If a daughter is domestic and feminine while still enjoying climbing trees and such, then it is okay. Some girls have a tendency to wild behavior and scorning femininity. Playing dolls is decidedly feminine since women are primarily domestic.

24. Colleen G says:

Having been the girl who would have fallen under item #1 when I was that age I have to disagree a bit. I was never into sports but at that age I would have rather gone out and played with the boys.
    I was just an adventurous energetic girl would loved being outside. This actually helped mold me into the best fit for my husband. He is the type of man who wants his woman to be interested in what he is doing. For him a co-laborer is the woman who can, and wants to, go out and stack wood with him, go fishing with him(life before kids) and help him dress the game he hunts. He wants a frontier wife not a Victorian one. ;)
    I know current culture is scary and ungodly but we have to be very careful to draw the line between cultural preferences and biblical mandates. God made “tomboys” too.
    My 11 year old daughter is the same outdoor adventurous girls I was and is being molded for the Mr. Right who needs a co-laborer outside doing life with him. Don’t worry just like my mother she is being taught the ways of the house as well but some men need outdoorsy rough and tumble girls to join them in their adventures. Proper females who afraid of getting dirty or not looking feminine enough would be a trial to live with for them.

Hi Colleen,

By your answer, I think we’re picturing two different girls. A “pioneer woman” who is capable of chopping wood, dressing game, and shooting bad guys is not “manly.” And I agree that Victorian womanhood is not what defines femininity. I have a daughter who climbs trees, shoots bb guns, and is very athletic, but I would never call her a Tom Boy. My point was that as a culture we seem to love it when girls pursue the most rough and masculine of sports and activities (football, hockey, military combat etc.), but still find it a little creepy when men behave in a distinctly feminine manner – though that is certainly changing as the LGBT agenda increases.