June 9, 2013 by Stacy McDonald

Just Eat It?

This post is in response to Doug Wilson’s article, Allergic to Other People. Let me state here that I really like Doug Wilson. Our family has read and recommended many of his books on marriage and family for years. And I’m pretty sure I “get” what he was trying to communicate. I agree that those with allergies should be charitable and be careful not to be rude, thoughtless, or to forsake fellowship.

There are ways to make it all work without inconveniencing or frustrating anyone. However, read why I think Pastor Wilson goes too far…

“If you think that every cook in the body has a bounden obligation to drop every other ingredient from her recipes if you are coming over, then perhaps you are waiting for the wrong person to make the sacrifice. Why don’t you make the sacrifice, and just eat it? You might reply that this means that later in the evening you will have to deal with the icky angsty feelings that always accompany your consumption of your allergenic de jour. Well, isn’t that a small price to pay because you love the brethren? Eat what is set before you — there’s a strategy you could try Luke 10:8.  Better to get an imaginary rash on your body than to be a real rash on the body.” – Doug Wilson

At first I was a little stunned—hurt even. I thought about the many awkward moments when I had to get creative with a menu in an effort for our family to join someone for a fellowship meal. Were we burdening them—irritating them? Did they wish our family would “make the sacrifice and just eat it” even though it was harmful to our bodies? Were they secretly wondering if we were “faking it”?

How could a pastor seem to show such little regard for the physically weaker brethren? Where was the love, the charity, the long suffering that he so fully encouraged from those who claimed to have allergies (I say claimed, since the article seemed to put into question the validity of allergies in anyone other than those risking anaphylactic shock).

Then I started to think about my own blog and the many times I allowed various real-life situations or struggles to color my articles and I tried to be more empathetic. I began to wonder if Pastor Wilson was dealing with a specific real-life situation when he wrote this article. I actually understand what he’s getting at. I just think that he did a really sloppy job of making his point. And, ironically, I believe he perpetuated the very disunity he was attempting to eliminate.

I’m trying to assume that he didn’t actually think through the implications of what he wrote—that he didn’t mean it to come across as uncharitable as he did—that he didn’t mean to invite people to judge all their friends who are struggling with food allergies—or friends who are simply trying to experiment with different diets as they deal with possibly serious health issues that we know nothing about (and that, frankly, are none of our business).

And if you don’t think judgment was the result, read the comments generated from his article. One person wrote asking Pastor Wilson if perhaps those with food intolerances should be publicly disciplined by the church!

I am a woman who has struggled through some fairly significant health problems—problems that are directly related to a gluten allergy. I’ll spare you the details. And yes, it was confirmed by a doctor, so I’m not an “enemy of unity” whining about an “imaginary rash.” Though, after this article, I suspect that before it was medically confirmed, I could have easily been accused of just that.

Years before I was diagnosed, my husband and I watched, somewhat helplessly, as one of our young children suffered for over a year before we figured out what was “wrong” with her. A good doctor and a few blood tests later, we discovered that her body was reacting to wheat in a very negative way. Staring spells (later diagnosed as seizures), leg cramps, chronic diarrhea, severe hair loss, itching, stomach cramps, and daily emotional melt downs (it was as if she was on drugs) left us feeling hopeless and perplexed.

Once we removed wheat from her diet, her hair began to grow back. The cramping stopped. She began to smile again. She began to gain weight (she had become very frail from her inability to absorb nutrition).

Even now, when she is “accidentally” exposed to wheat (this can happen from a contaminated spoon), we typically know within 24 hours. Her doctor told us that it takes approximately two weeks for the effects of the wheat to completely leave her system.

When I was diagnosed with Celiac, my doctor told me that it is very likely that all my children will have issues with gluten. We’ve tried to be cautious. While we currently have several other children on a gluten-free diet for particular suspicious symptoms, we aren’t yet certain they have an “allergy.” However, because of their apparent sensitivities, we are being cautious.

Other children in our family don’t seem to be affected, so with them, we leave well enough alone.

Therefore, perhaps you can see why I found this particular article to be so offensive—divisive even!  It is possible that there are those who are adhering to certain food restrictions out of some sort of motivation to follow a trendy diet; however, there are also those who are trying to save their lives…literally. In addition, there are those who are simply trying to do whatever they can to deal with perplexing health issues. Should we all take the liberty of doubting or judging our friends?

“Here is a rule of thumb. If you have ever showed up to a dinner party (not a potluck) unannounced with your own food, then you are an enemy of church unity. The Holy Spirit is working to unify the whole body in sweet table fellowship, and you are underfoot.”

Wow. Underfoot? What a way to make someone feel burdensome and left out.

Should we really tell someone to “get over it” and eat whatever makes them sick simply to please our sense of fellowship? Should we tell them they should eat what is set before them because when they bring their own meal (in an effort not to inconvenience anyone) it irritates us? Where is the charity? Is Christian unity found in the food we put in our mouths or in gracious fellowship?

And by putting into question the motives of basically anyone who doesn’t “swell up like a balloon” when eating offensive foods, Pastor Wilson is inviting the brethren to openly judge and condemn those who are weak in the flesh—those who may be doing their best to deal with their physical symptoms without burdening you!

If someone “brings their own food” to your fellowship dinner, they may simply be trying to avoid burdening you with their dietary restriction. They are probably very tempted to eat what you’ve served; however, it may be they are simply so desperate for your fellowship that they join you with their “less-than” meal.

Yes, feasting is part of the joy of fellowshipping with the saints! It is a glorious part of hospitality and community! However, bearing with the weak, praying for the sick, and being merciful to those who suffer in ways we simply do not suffer or understand is also part of loving the brethren.

Who is reacting in love? What sort of physical detriment do you suffer from eating the things you expect me or my children to eat? Who is expecting others to suffer for their own comfort, convenience, or pleasure? Your pizza smells amazing, by the way. Be glad you can eat it.

How about showing mercy to those who may already be suffering in ways you don’t know. It may be a little inconvenient to you when you invite a family over for dinner and have to avoid your favorite ingredients in order not to make your guests sick. But, I’d like to respond to Pastor Wilson with his own question: “Isn’t that a small price to pay because you love the brethren?”

Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls… (Romans 14:3–4)

Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2)

With all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love… (Ephesians 4:2)

44 Responses to “Just Eat It?”

1. So agree with you. I am grateful that we go to a church where people really do try. They don’t always understand all the things they need to avoid but they really do care about the issues of my family, esp. my 1 dd who has celiacs or something similar. I always try and bring a dish that my family members can eat.

2. When we could have people over for hospitality, we asked if they had allergies, etc, shared menu and asked if that would be something their family would like. This gives a time for them to comfortably let you know. If it is something relatively easy like avoiding nuts, the cook can make sure to avoid or provide alternative. For more complex dietary issues, the guests may want to make it easier on the host. This would also be a time for them to say while they really look forward to the visit, their diet is such that it would be much easier if they could bring their special diet. This should take away embarrassment for the one with special diet and for the hostess who doesn’t wish to aggravate a health problem.
    On the other side of the coin, we have had families over for a meal whose children were very picking and each one was used to being fed the different things they preferred. We did our best to provide something each would eat, but didn’t prepare different meal for each taste sensibility.
    Growing up, when we visited family, we always took food either for that meal or to feed their freezer. Today, my family usually offers to take a course. If the hostess says no, then we take a small gift for their home.

3. Denise says:

I am shocked at the negative attitude that people still have concerning food allergies. I have an allergy to the aspergillus mold that is used in things like bread/yeast raised products, soy sauce, alcoholic beverages. aged cheeses and deli meats. I try to avoid eating them but I can’t always :-(

4. Deborah says:

In sharing Mr. Wilson’s article with some ladies on a group I host, the resounding response was “Grace!”.

I agree, we must extend grace, grace, and even more grace, in this seeming “food war” my husband I have seen raging amongst the brethren for a number of years now.

And, of course, it goes every which way when dealing with the topic of food, from how it’s grown to how it’s consumed.

We dairy farm in Ontario, Canada, and if we had a nickel for every time someone directly told us or inferred that what we do and how we do it is “wrong”, “immoral”, “unhealthy”, “poisonous”, and numerous other adjectives, well, maybe we could retire. :-)

When all is said and done, let love abound. As one of my friends said, as believers we should be able to joyously fellowship over a glass of water!

5. Thanks Stacy, for speaking forth the truth with grace and candor and eloquence. I hear your point and concur , totally. That was a much needed response. I hope many read it. Church discipline for food intolerance!!! What? I am saddened and frankly a little stunned.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Suz

6. Kim says:

if I am showing hospitality I want to make my guests COMFORTABLE not sick. I want to show them LOVE not disdain. If you can’t eat grain, then we don’t serve it. If you can’t eat shell fish, it won’t be on the menu. I can flip my menu at the drop of a hat if I need to accommodate a friend who just drops by. I LOVE to have people over, and serve what THEY would like. I think pastor Wilson needs cooking and hospitality lessons. Hmmm, how would Jesus react??

Amen, amen, amen!

My 2 year old daughter is on a very restricted diet (top-8 plus some, per doctor’s orders – we are looking at an FPIES diagnosis), and because I am nursing, I am as well. Her food allergy reactions do not result in anaphylaxis, but cause her (and me) great distress and worsen with increased exposure. It is very difficult for people who are not accustomed to food restrictions to accommodate us, and honestly, I hate to ask it because I know how hard it is to feed us! I am one of the people mentioned who is so very “desperate for fellowship that I bring my own food” when we go places.

The worst part is that there is a kernel of truth in the original article: people gather around food and fellowship is often marred when there is someone who can’t/won’t participate. Until you have to be aware of what you do with food, it’s easy to miss just how much adjustment is required. It’s not just missing out on pizza parties or ice cream socials… I took my daughter to story time at the local library and they did a food craft full of things she couldn’t eat. My heart broke for her. I do wish we could be “normal” in this. Oh, how I wish it some days!

We are so grateful that the Lord has led several families to minister to us, and we know the offering of time, effort, and money that goes into it – it is wonderful to see the body at work! It has helped us to feel welcomed and a part of things we might normally not be able to participate in. It has shown me that our struggle is someone else’s opportunity to serve. The point of being in covenant community is that we all help to shoulder one another’s burdens.

8. DHM says:

I agree with all you’ve said here. I would just add that although he did it very poorly, I do think one of the key points of Wilson’s issues is not the bringing separate food to a dinner party, but the bringing separate food *without notifying the hostess in advance.* That is rude, at best, just thoughtless.
    By notifying her in advance, you give her the opportunity to offer to adjust the menu to meet your needs if she is so inclined and has the ability. You also give her the opportunity to adjust the portions she is preparing.

We bring separate food for our daughter who has wheat, corn, and egg allergies. We don’t ask our hostess to make food to accommodate her allergies. If pressed, I do sometimes suggest a plain baked potato or some plain fresh fruit would be lovely, but I seldom accept when offered because it turns out most people mean well, but they just just really don’t know all the forms that corn comes in (and I’ve learned some people don’t even know that ‘semolina’ is a wheat product). I understand. I sometimes get confused about all the forms corn comes in, too. It’s hard for me, I don’t expect others to deal with it. But I do expect them to accept us with charity and not take offense because I won’t feed their food to my child just because hives, a belly ache, and burps that smell like an open sewer won’t kill her.

I believe it would have been more productive to Pastor Wilson’s stated desire for unity if he would have addressed how both parties (hostess and guest) could be gracious to one another while dealing with food allergies. Describe for each side ways they could express love, thankfulness, and compassion for one another.

A gracious hostess could ask her guests if they have any food intolerances that she might accommodate, remembering that hospitality is about serving and blessing others.

A gracious guest with food allergies could let her hostess know well in advance about her dietary restrictions. She should also offer to bring along part of the meal, or simply bring food for the child/family member who has the special need.

11. Karen Engstrom says:

Offering hospitality is non-negotiable for the Believer, and while I often find Pastor Wilson to be thought-provoking and encouraging, I humbly believe that he’s stepped over a line with this article. As a pastoral household, we have people over to our home all the time, and I try to NEVER forget to ask if our guests have any food allergies or aversions. In the same way we’d make sure overnight guests have pillows, warm blankets, and a safe place to sleep, we would not dream of expecting our guests to just eat what we serve, like it or not. How could we? Offering hospitality demands courtesy and love and laying down our lives for those we’re inviting in.

On the other side of things, as a mother of a son with a very odd reaction to gluten (he gets anxiety attacks to the point of losing feeling in his legs, hyperventilating, and panicking – none of which can I find anywhere as a response to gluten), I have had to do training with him as to how to eat at others’ homes. Not everyone asks if we have anything that needs to be avoided, so I remind my son (who’s a linebacker – not used to missing meals!) that I will make him something when we get home if there’s not enough there to satisfy him. He’s learned to enjoy salads, veggies, and smaller portions (all the while graciously thanking the hosts for a delicious meal), and if necessary, having a snack later on.

All this to say, no matter which side of things we’re on (and often we’re on both sides, aren’t we?), kindness and love and grace must be our markers.

Amen, Karen! Perhaps you should share that on Pastor Wilson’s blog too. :-)

13. Lewy says:

Having read through this blog and then reading through Wilson’s blog(article), I have to state that clearly, content was taken out of context…
    Yes, I saw your captions from his article and understand your viewpoint, BUT, Mr Wilson also clearly stated,
    “I am not talking about genuine allergies. Everybody should know what those are. You serve your guest ground up peanuts in that Thai dish you’ve been wanting to try out, and forty five minutes later he looks like the Michelin tire boy, and the dinner party concludes late that evening in the ER. That’s an allergy, and the apostle would not mind if we accommodated such food restrictions in charity. That is a beautiful opportunity to exercise charity — checking with those you invite about food restrictions.”

The attack to the article about how he is not showing grace because of allergies is not truthful. He did state about those with real allergies,….the kind that affect health, do exercise charity for.
    I believe that the overall message he is conveying and understand him to be making is to those who have ‘allergies’ at convenient times. To excuse themselves from having to participate in a function, to eat a certain food, to eat in front of people, or various other reasons. That is the type of behavior that one should not uphold or present in fellowship with other believers.

14. Daniel says:

Stacy, I thought you would want to know about the follow-up article:

15. I must say that the majority of the foods that people are allergic to are actually foods that everyone would be better off without. No matter that they began in a pure and even beneficial way, these foods are now contaminated and detrimental in their warped, sin-damaged condition. It is not a matter of being offended and having someone else create disharmony because they won’t eat your casserole, it’s actually a matter of the maker of the casserole needing to search his or her own heart because the Bible says “To him that knoweth to do right, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.” If you know that some ingredients you use aren’t healthy and could possibly harm people, then you are doing wrong by serving them! Dairy, wheat, peanuts, corn, and even processed sugar are all foods that are very harmful! To everyone! Do some research on them, we are all better off without them!

16. Jenny says:

Dear Stacy,

I, too, enjoy much if what Doug Wilson writes, but as is usually the case for those folks whom have not had to navigate the world of food allergies he comes across very insensitive. Our family has a myriad of food allergies, the biggest being gluten, and thankfully our church body is always so sweet about it! I always offer to bring part of the meal and I offer recipes that are easy-peasy to prepare and are delicious and inexpensive as well. Afterward I often get a thank-you from our hostess, because she desires to cook gluten-free for her guests but did not know where to begin. I love when the body if Christ loves each other with kindness, generosity, and above all love… Even in the crazy maze of food allergies.

Lewy – It was not taken out of context. I made it clear that I “got” what he was trying to communicate; I just think he did a sloppy job. And, in so doing, made a bigger mess than the one he was trying to clean up. Yes, he tried to clarify that he didn’t mean “genuine” allergies, but then he implies that “genuine” allergies are only the ones that are immediately life threatening. Sometimes people are dealing with long term health issues. They are trying to get well from something we have no knowledge of. I think Pastor Wilson possibly risked a bigger problem by giving permission to those who are ignorant or impatient to judge all their friends as “enemies of unity.” Not very unifying.

It is neither loving nor any of my business to judge why someone doesn’t eat a particular food. Yes, it may be that Joe isn’t eating shrimp because Joe doesn’t like shrimp. Or it could be that he thinks it’s sinful to eat shrimp. That’s not my business. And, even then, according to Romans 12, I’m not to cause division over it.

“Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.” (Romans 14:3–4)

18. Anne Calvert says:

I really liked your article, Stacy. We have had so many problems with two of our children in particular, and they have been on gluten-free and other diets for a long time. It solved some serious health issues we were having, and we’re still trying to solve other problems. There are plenty of people who think it’s just your imagination. One man at a church we went to would tell my little girl to go ahead and take a donut. He insisted that they didn’t have any gluten in them. I was proud of her for refusing politely. He was always trying to get my kids to eat stuff that gives them problems. Our current pastor’s wife is lactose intolerant, so it’s actually nice to have somebody who understands what we deal with in our church. Maybe it just seems like science fiction for those who have never had to deal with these issues. Thanks for the great article!

Thank you, Daniel. I read Pastor Wilson’s new post and replied on his blog.

Jennifer, Amen! Thank you for sharing your experience. I love the way I see you diligently and tirelessly serve your family. And, when given the opportunity, we are honored to serve you food that you’re safely able to enjoy when you visit our home, or when we bring you a meal. I think that’s what is difficult to communicate. It is a BLESSING for both sides when we serve in love. If we look at it analytically, I guess it could seem like a burden. But, that’s the key – when we look through the lens of love, it changes things on both sides.

Above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8

Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. Romans 12:10–13

I’ll be totally honest and say I dislike his blog, both for his tone and that of his readers, like scalding water that people used to think cleaned the skin, but instead burned off many surface cells from it or even caused blistering. Just eat it? The result of one bad seasoning on some otherwise delicious chicken in camp once had me confined for hours afterwards. Should my father just eat seafood he’s allergic to? This is dangerous irresponsibility in more ways than one. You responded, especially on his blog, Stacy, with far more grace than I could, or would honestly care to after being familiar with him for a while.

22. Courtney says:

Thank you for the reminder about it taking around two weeks for gluten to leave a person’s system once ingested. Sometimes I get impatient and forget that is the case, and it really doesn’t help the situation with my children and not being as understanding as I could be with how ill they are feeling. Two of my children are Celiacs. My youngest son, not nearly as severe as my daughter. We have a doctor’s diagnosis on this. My daughter is so reactive, that other than having a box of cereal and crackers to eat with his soup on hand for my eldest son who isn’t Celiac, our entire house does gluten free. I tried doing the separate components to meals, but realized after a bit that she would react to the dust from the flour in the air. Typically, if she gets gluten, we see it in about 8 hours and the tantrums caused by it are incredible. My youngest, while not nearly as reactive as my daughter still responds in a similar manner to having it. We are almost two weeks out from the last accidental ingesting of gluten, so your reminder was very timely. Yesterday was a rough day because I forgot the patientce I need to have when my children feel awful. We are less than two years into this adventure, and I feel I am learning all the time with gluten free living.

Thank you for the reminder of patience.

23. Cassie says:

Hi Stacy, I have appreciated your point of view on the topic and am leaving this comment here and on Mr. Wilson’s blog post too!

I think that both Mr. Wilson and Mrs. McDonald are overstating some points and understating other points.

First, my family and I highly respect both the works and ministries of both Mr. Wilson and Mrs. McDonald. We have been encouraged, edified, challenged and grown in our Christian faith by both the writings and works of these two.

I wanted to speak on this topic real quick myself because I feel like we have had a “foot in both camps.” First, I do want to state that perhaps the title of Mr. Wilson’s article is incorrectly titled “Allergic to People.” Perhaps it could have been something along the lines of the idolatry of food!

When we use the word allergic, it should be used and respected as such! The word allergy should not be associated with food preferences, trends, etc.

Let me explain…. We have a daughter with a very severe and deadly peanut and tree nut ALLERGY. This is NOT something to mess with as it is a matter of life or death. We should not be clumping in food preferences, trends and other eating situations with allergies. Both my husband and I get quite frustrated with the mis-use or misunderstanding of an allergy – many people will associate it with a preference or a stomach upset or a bit of swelling. If our daughter is exposed, we have 4 minutes to treat before she is dead and treating comes in the form of an epipen (one or more if necessary) and the epipen keeps her airway open for 15 minutes in which we have to get her to a hospital for the remaining treatment.

Yes, hers is severe and very deadly. But people can have legitimate gluten allergies and other food allergies and they should be treated with care, caution and concern by all parties involved – even if they will not die in 4 minutes. Food allergies wreak havoc in many ways in people’s bodies and is a real health issue.

We shouldn’t be using the word “allergy” like most people use the word “Christian.” Otherwise, 75% of the people in the country believe they have an allergy just like 75% of people believe in “God.”

With that said, I do have to make it very clear about the food issue that plagues our family with whomever we would be supping and fellowshipping with. In the same vain, whenever we invite people over or take a meal to a family during times of need, I ask two questions: “Does anyone in your family have a food allergy?” The second question is: “Does anyone in your family have a food preference or rather foods that they really don’t like?”

The first question is legitimate and EVERYONE should accommodate, as it is a burden the body of Christ bears together.

When it comes to our daughter’s allergy, we have learned to ask to not have anything that contains, made around, etc. those deadly allergens. Even with the other party assuring us about the safety of the food, I do ask to read ingredients. I feel bad, but this is my daughter’s life and allergies are so misunderstood that the statement on an ingredient that says “made in the same facilities as tree nuts or peanuts” can be very easily overlooked, but send our daughter to the hospital. In addition, our daughter abstains from desserts (unless they are store-bought with all of the ingredients listed) as well as breads. The ingredients used to make up these two food groups are the most dangerous and has those overlooked statements in the flours, chocolate chips, etc. But we don’t make a big deal about it, we don’t draw attention to her abstaining. She will eat the main courses and dishes once we have receiving that assurance from the host.

But to make it easier, once I tell our potential hosts about her issue, I will offer to bring her her own food if it will be easier. Sometimes they want us to and sometimes they want to make the sacrifice of checking these things out with due diligence and prepare foods with due diligence.

So now…I do ask about the preferences too! They may not be allergies, but many people have preferences and if I can be a better host by accommodating those, then I will and feel like I have a duty to do so!

However, I would caution, just as I believe Mr. Wilson was attempting to do, but confused the topic with the word “allergy,” to burdening with your food preferences and trends.

Let me explain further, in our personal lives, we try to avoid nitrates, pork, red dye, gluten, enriched grains, transfat, high fructose corn syrup, msg, sugar and prefer to eat organic when and where our budget allows.

If someone were to ask us (which they rarely do) if we had food preferences, the only thing I would say would be no crustacean seafood (and it’s not on the list above) and the reason why is because I seriously cannot stand the taste or smell of this food and have been unable to eat it for 20 years. It is a total preference. Fortunately, most people probably don’t plan to serve shrimp, crab or lobster anyway, but it is a real food preference.

I would not say: “no pork, no nitrates (which would be lunchmeats, hotdogs and processed cheeses for the short list),…. Etc. from the list above. That would be ridiculous! We can and should “suck it up and eat it” for that meal! Some of those things don’t make us feel great, but it is still a “preference and trend – Not an ALLERGY.”

Now on the flip-side, I have been on the other side where I was feeling many aspects of disunity in the body over food preferences. There is a family that we love and adore, but have very strong opinions about foods and even longer list of their food preferences than the one I posted above. It was burdensome, and inwardly hurtful although we tried to not to let it affect our fellowship, it did!

This family did not claim to have any food allergies, but probably a very strange eating style for most.

When they would stay with us, they would not join us in our breakfast, but eat their raw steel cut oats that were soaking in water overnight and eat them plain. I felt like a heathen feeding my family cooked steel oats and letting my kids dress their oatmeal with a topping bar.

This family, to name one of many other food preferences, only drank raw milk and would not eat any foods, casseroles or dishes that were made with cheeses, cream based or other dairy ingredients unless it was made with raw milk. I took the time to make a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing when they invited us over. I told them I would bring salad with this dressing and they said that was fine. When we arrived for dinner with my salad and homemade dressing, their family abstained from our dressing and our family was the only ones that ate it. It was awkward and it did feel like there was a rift in fellowship at that time. I would have gladly made a homemade oil/vinegar Italian dressing instead. And maybe they thought that it was much more kind to let me bring what I wanted then express their distastes for non-raw buttermilk as maybe they thought it would be a burden for me to do differently. I don’t know as it wasn’t discussed or brought up while our family enjoyed the dressing. But I do remember thinking that it if was merely a food preference, it wouldn’t have killed them to eat it like it had killed the fellowship at that awkward time. In fact, we’ve tried to abstain from gluten at times and this family made their own breads and we ate them in that same awkward meal because it wasn’t going to kill us and it was more important to use to have the unity at that time!

Do you catch what I am trying to get at? Let’s not confuse real allergies (if the above buttermilk dressing situation was a milk ALLERGY, that would be different!) with food preferences.

I personally was convicted by Mr. Wilson’s post as it reminds me that I need to be more careful to not confuse my food preferences/trends with the fellowship of the body, especially remembering those broken times of fellowship with others over food preferences/trends. But it also convicted me to do and sacrifice all I can for those that have real food allergies to make them welcome and comfortable as Mrs. McDonald stated, even in the case of gluten ALLERGIES.

Soli Deo Gloria!
    Cassie

Courtney – I think it’s important that we teach our children not to “make provisions for the flesh.” In other words, we should teach them to do what it takes to make it easy for them not to sin – rather than doing things that make it more likely.

It’s like taking a toddler to the grocery store at nap time without any lunch. Yes, it’s his sin that we’re seeing, and he’s responsible for that; but, we contributed to it by making it likely that it would be difficult for him to control himself. Food intolerance in children are similar.

We moms can do the same for ourselves by doing what we can to get enough sleep, eat right, create a peaceful atmosphere in the home etc. Make an effort to create a peaceful environment where everyone is built up physically as much as possible, so that it is likelier for everyone to respond to one another in love.

25. Cassie says:

Oh – and one follow-up comment that I remembered. This same family was organizing a church potluck meal and one family said that they would bring some ketchup for something too and the comment was made to them to please bring ketchup with no High Fructose Corn Syrup. I thought it was a bit out of line and unnecessary for one meal. We don’t like it much either, but I wouldn’t have said that as fellowship was far more important than that!

26. Courtney says:

Forgot to add:

Of all the things that my children could have had, I am so thankful they have Celiac’s and are the variety of Lactose Intolerant that can handle raw milk. We can help them be healthy without taking pills, needing shots, or having multiple surgeries, etc. I am so very thankful He saw fit to give us a challenge that we can handle so comparatively easily without anything other than eating healthy. I am also thankful we figured their issues out so young in their lives so they won’t have as much damage and also so we can establish the proper habits and firmly ingrain them.

27. Julie says:

I suffered for years with debilitating migraines, and after a long process of elimination, my doctor and I discovered several foods which are guaranteed triggers for me. I cannot eat chocolate at all, even things flavored with cocoa powder. I cannot have wine at all, including salad dressings with wine vinegar or sauces with wine in the reduction.

While wine is not a problem at Church events (except the aforementioned salad dressings, and if I don’t know what is in a viniagarette I just don’t eat it), chocolate is, very much. You would be amazed at the number of people who have urged me to try their brownies or chocolate cake because, “It’s so good and one bite won’t hurt you!”

I refer to this as my invisible allergy. Eating a brownie won’t make me swell up or quit breathing, but within half an hour I will have a headache so bad I won’t be able to drive home. Have I been accused of faking? Yes. Have I been told I’m a party-pooper? Yes. Has this happened at church events? Yes.

I get the feeling from the Wilson article (and I went and read the whole thing to get the context) that this is one of those allergies that he thinks should just be “ignored” in the name of fellowship. It’s not going to kill me to eat a brownie, no, but does that mean that to keep from being a “problem”, or from hurting someone’s feelings, I should do something that will make me FEEL like I’m dying?

My problem is that I cannot be unobtrusive with my food sensitivity. Chocolate and wine end up in a lot of foods that you would not expect, and sometimes I have to ask. At church potlucks, I just go quietly about my business and don’t eat things that might contain those two ingredients. I don’t say anything about it at all unless someone urges me to try something and I have to explain. I follow the same course when we go to someone’s house for dinner, or out to a restaurant with friends.

I don’t expect the world to quit turning every time I share a meal, simply because I have sensitivities, but I do expect people to respect those sensitivities if they come to light–just as I would respect someone whose child or spouse was allergic to something if I was inviting them to my home. And I think you are very right to say that this invites judgment of our friends. It is too easy to make the leap from allergies to “You aren’t eating my prune whip because you don’t like it, not because you are allergic! Dr. Wilson said so!”

People get very weird about food, sometimes for excellent health-related reasons and sometimes (as in the family referenced by Cassie, above) not so much. Eating healthy, eating organic, abstaining from additives–these are all commendable goals and as long as you are pursuing them in your own home, have at it. If you have an allergy, tell me and I’ll take it into consideration. If you have something you really can’t stand, tell me because I’d hate to make a dinner that you have to choke down on threat of upchucking.

I don’t ask people to not make chocolate cake for dessert, because I know most people love chocolate (I did, too, and believe me it was tough to give up) and I don’t expect everyone to forego it because it gives me headaches. But just as it is not up to me to say “Oh, you are not allergic to gluten! Quit being a picky-puss!” it is also not up to you (Dr. Wilson) to say “Oh, just eat the brownie. What’s a little headache if you make old Mrs. Jones happy in the name of fellowship?” For one thing, I don’t think Mrs. Jones would be so happy if she knew that her brownie sent me to bed for two days with all of the windows covered and a cold cloth on my forehead. Not to mention all of the fellowship I’d miss.

Excellent article, by the way, and thank you!

28. Pamela says:

If someone needs to bring their own food to a dinner fellowship, the correct response is one of joy that they are there, mingled only, perhaps with a sense of disappointment that their special needs had not been anticipated nor in love been accommodated. Far be it from me to be insulted as though it were an affront to me and my culinary skills or a Pinterest-inspired image of a perfect setting for the dinner! That is a completely pride-filled response, and out of such flows the disunity so concerned about here.

29. Minnesota Mom says:

I understand and all comments here. I also understand that Mr. Wilson eats all kinds of food and is not particularly health conscious. I am pretty health conscious but am blessed with good health except for the recent bout of gestational diabetes. Happily, we now have a cute baby boy, and I don’t have to sweat each time I go out to eat at a restaurant. It can be a sensitive issue when you are trying to enjoy someone’s company and you are pregnant and starving and have a toddler and are soon getting cranky and low in blood sugar….and the toddler needs to be watched….This did affect negatively some of my visits with my family, which was hurtful, especially since I didn’t have any control over my blood sugar levels except by timing what I ate, when and how much. This is not easy to do away from your home. Also jet-lag and dinner times, nap times come into play here. I have learned a lot about special needs diets and how that affects my body and stress levels. I’ve also learned that me being stressed about other people might make taking care of myself a lower priority, so I’ve tried to reverse that. Grace is so important in our daily interactions with strangers and people we love. Courtesy oils the wheels!

30. Stacy,

Thanks for writing this! I appreciate how genuine and well-grounded in the love of Christ but in life also you and your family are. I think we can appreciate how food issues are sensitive ones, based on just the things the apostle Paul writes about. I am a former nurse who has been studying and using natural remedies, herbs, nutrient-dense foods, etc. for my family for years. I personally think that many food allergies are a combination of dietary changes in the last 80+ years, environmental toxins, genetic-predispositon and even stress and spiritual issues. But the truth is many people suffer from food allergies and intestinal issues and until they are cured of them, they must deal with those problems the best they can. If it means eating only certain things, then that is what must be done. I also know people, for example, that refuse to eat pork (these are believers) and do not even want something which is derived from pork to ever touch their lips. Needless to say, I would not invite them over to eat BBQ pork ribs or such. But I would not feel uncomfortable inviting friends that have a daughter who is allergic to many foods, and having them bring prepared food for her. In fact, we have had guests stay at our guest house who prepared all their own food before, because they were more comfortable doing that. That did not and does not offend me in the least. I have had a girl stay with us who had a soy allergy and anything that was made from soy or an animal which consumed soy bothered her. I was glad to have some milk and butter from soy free cows to give to her. I agree with Pamela that it is the people and the fellowship that is important, not so much the food consumed. Healing is what we are after, not condemnation!

31. Ellie Rae says:

I have never heard of Pastor Wilson, but yes, I think he went too far. It seems he knows almost nothing about allergies and what can happen to people who eat something they’re allergic to. It is like he thinks people with allergies are faking it. Having said that, though, I am a woman in my 60′s now, and I have noticed more and more people with (genuine) allergies. Why is this, I wonder? Bad food? Or maybe the allergies have always existed and doctors didn’t know what they were, had no tests for them? It is difficult to have over for dinner nowadays; we once pastored a church where there were people with wheat allergies, peanut allergies, diabetic, could not have salt, could not have caffeine, needed low-fat food, etc., all in the same church body. I was lost trying to accommodate all of these people. Perhaps a fellowship where people prepared their own food would be best? I would not be offended, either, if somebody brought their own food to my house if I invited them for dinner if they had food allergies.

32. Sarah Mae says:

Honestly disgusted at what so much of that man says.

33. Jenn Hoskins says:

I have a son who cannot have food dyes and another who cannot have msg. We have to be careful what they eat and both are trained what to look for in foods. It can be a struggle for them to eat at certain places, and at times it feels burdensome and unfair to them. I try to train them to politely state they are unable to eat something ad find what they can eat and enjoy with gratitude. If there is nothing I assure them I will get something special on the way home. Its not fun but its the hand they are dealt.

On the other hand, I know a family that is gluten free and feels everyone should be GF. They make those who are not GF very uncomfortable, especially since some of the family is not GF by choice and would stare as you ate your ‘normal’ food. It is the topic of every conversation, the focal point of life and is, what I can only state as, over the top. MSG is in just about anything as well, hidden in different ingredients. Its a pain at times to avoid it but we deal with it since it is our families burden, not others. I dont rake someone over the coals as they eat normal lunch meat! (which is usually GF, go figure! lol)

There is a balance. Our family doesn’t eat pork by choice. We were recently with another family that served us pork and I told my children to eat with thanks. It’s not that it makes us sick, it’s that we choose not to eat it. We ate it and enjoyed. I think this is where the scripture Wilson misapplied to allergies actually applies. People are not malicious in their offerings. We should not be malicious is our refusal. Nor should we lecture about why they should make the same choices, the place where I think most of the contention in the debate is rooted. I know from the family I mentioned previous I heard repeatedly about how awful our food choices were because gluten was killing everyone. It got old. Fast.

We have 4th of July coming up. A holiday that is celebrated with red dyes at the center of nearly everything! I am sure I will be telling my son no over and over. It’s hard but it is his life. I will bring along stuff for strawberry shortcake and burgers that I know are msg safe. I will mention to the cook, and no one else, that my one child needs one or two of those burgers but the rest are welcome to be shared. That makes me a good guest and still gives them freedom to be hospitable. That keeps the whole food debate at bay while still keeping it safe for my kids.

Ultimately, if there wasn’t so much franken-food on our shelves at the store I am sure most of this wouldn’t even have to be debated. I would put money on the idea that GMO is at the root of this whole gluten intolerance thing, which has caused some people to reject gluten, and that carries over even to non-gmo gluten because the body now sees an invader, not food. Its sad how far we have come from healthy diets and how difficult it is to get back to healthy. How far we have to go to avoid dyes is ridiculous at times. How I wish it was more simple but alas, it isn’t.

34. Thanks for this helpful article. I’m linking to it.

35. Crystal in Alaska says:

I have read the original article and the follow-up and am still having trouble wrapping my mind around this. I have no food allergies nor does anyone in my family. We never have to think twice about what we eat but I would NEVER dream of not finding out what my guests can safely eat and then gladly, with a happy heart (!!!) make that! That’s just being a good host, not to mention a good Christian! And if they wanted to bring dishes they could eat…wonderful! How could that POSSIBLY create “disunity”?! The selfishness of the attitude in the article is immeasurable. And even IF my guests didn’t have an allergy but just a preference…..who cares?! Since when is cooking with your company’s preferences in mind a bad thing?! Stacy…if you ever find yourself in Alaska stop by and we will feast on gluten free food!!!!

36. Meghan Workman says:

Oh boy, does this resonate with me! I’ve been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis and vulvodynia, and have recently made a strong connection between these two conditions and my gluten sensitivity. I know that when I eat gluten, it affects my bladder as well as my intestines. It causes me pain for days (sometimes up to a week) afterwards. The idea that Mr. Wilson thinks I should just suck it up and endure pain and delay my healing just because if I don’t, I’m “underfoot” or a “burden” is very hurtful and offensive to me. I would be mortified beyond belief if I invited people over for dinner and discovered that one of my guests ate something I prepared that caused them pain because they were afraid to be insulting or a bother. It is in no way a burden to prepare a meal for someone with food allergies or sensitivities – it’s the exact opposite. It’s a way to show them you care and you want to help them get and/or stay healthy. Why would I be put out by helping a friend avoid causing themselves pain? That would make me a pretty selfish, mean-spirited, petty person indeed.

37. Ellie Rae says:

Like one commenter said, I think this pastor misapplied the rules of eating what is put before you to eating things you know you are allergic to. There is a big difference. Like the commenter said, they have chosen not to eat pork, but it doesn’t make them ill, they simply don’t eat it. But when they are at someone’s house and pork is put before them, they will eat it. I think this is what that pastor means. There are several things I don’t like or have decided not to eat for various reasons, none of them being allergies or illnesses connected with eating those things. I’ll just eat them so I don’t offend. I would never expect any guest to eat something I offered that would make them sick.

38. HollymMead says:

Like you, I think I “get” what Pastor Wilson is trying to say–Don’t be a flaming, ingrateful jerk toward those showing you hospitality when you have food PREFERENCES, and don’t cloak your PREFERENCES in medical garb as though your dietary kick is medically necessary. I, too, have been hurt by rudeness of this kind. (We had a family over for dinner and they refused to eat any of our food, not because of any medical issue, but b/c the meal wasn’t all organic. I cried. I never had them over again. Fellowship was broken.)

On the other hand, when I have guests over I now make it a point to get the low-down on all their food needs/allergies AND their preferences too and I absolutely do not serve anything that will harm them and I do all I can to serve what will delight them. I’ve never had someone NOT tell me about their needs when pressed and I make my countenance one of total desire to please. They know that they are pleasing ME when they tell me their needs and wants. It’s not hard. (Though learning to make brownies with coconut, or almond, flour HAS been kinda tough!)

I, too, have enjoyed much of Pastor Wilson’s books and articles, but this one made me cringe. I suspect he must be seeing some real problems in his fellowship with picky eaters and possibly doesn’t know anyone with a serious food allergy.

39. Ellie Rae says:

The pastor is mixing preferences up with genuine food allergies and misapplying the verse. This can be tricky. My husband and I were once at a friend’s house for dinner and the pork chops she served were undercooked and rare. She didn’t notice. I didn’t say anything, but ate the cooked portion around the edges; my husband didn’t notice and ate the whole thing. I wish I had said something, because my husband’s intestines got torn up pretty badly and he was “pooping” white the next day and in terrible pain. For 10 years afterwards, he had trouble eating anything acidic like spaghetti sauce. I should have risked embarrassing our hostess.
    On the other hand, preferences, yes, I have been hurt, too, by health food nuts who, if they don’t want to eat something, they should keep their reasons to themselves and not make a fuss. I was at a woman’s home for a Christian get-together once and she served a layered salad with bacon in it. One of the guests said she wouldn’t eat the salad because it had just been found out (this was in the 70′s) that bacon had nitrates in it and that caused stomach cancer! By now, all the other women were looking at the hostess suspiciously like she was deliberately trying to poison them, and as I recall, I was the only one there who ate the salad.
    Then another time, I had a woman over for a “cream tea.” I spent a lot of time making the sweet scones with raisins and whipped cream and black tea, and my guest was horrified and went on and on in this fashion: “Oh, No! Look at all that FAT. And the SUGAR. And the CAFFEINE!” She wouldn’t eat much. I wish she had just said no thank you or just nibbled at it, and kept her comments to herself. I was mortified and never invited her again. Broken fellowship.

40. victoria says:

This past Christmas, my daughters and I hosted our annual Christmas tea. Several of the invited ladies and their daughters had various types of allergies or intolerance to various foods. I spent weeks pouring over cookbooks and enjoyed the challenge of preparing foods that my guests could safely eat. One lady later told me with tears in her eyes that it was so nice to be invited to a gathering and be able to eat foods made special for her and get a chance to enjoy the fellowship. She often has to miss gatherings because of her extreme allergies.
    I can understand where it might be frustrating to cook a meal and then have your guests not be able to eat it or criticize it for not meeting their nutritional standards. However, as Christians, since we are to place others above ourselves, we shouldn’t hesitate to do all we can to reasonably meet their needs. If they are too demanding and unkind about it, we always have the option of making them one-time guests. :)

41. wendy says:

Having read the orignal article and others by Mr. Wilson, I am flaberghasted, as usual. He continually misses a very importnat point. Romans 14:13….Let us not judge one another ANYMORE, but rather resolve this, to NOT put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.
    We should not care why someone does or doesnot eat something in particular. Do you ALWAYS eat cake at a birthday party? What if you just dislike cake? Will you force yourself to chug it down just to make someone happy? Then they have caused you to “sin” in your own eyes.
    In this day and age, a polite “no, thank you” should still suffice. If you wind up not eating, it is the others problem if they actually have a problem with it.
    We do have food issues in our home. We always try to do the inviting so that I know that my family willl be fed. As well as cooking enough for a whole meal for any potluck they should attend. They have also been taught to read lables, menus nd ask questions, as well as offer to bring something to contribute.
    They were also not taught tto stop by unannounced. They learned that on their own and pay the penalty by being embarrassed.
    I do hope and pray that as we age in this society, our faith and manners will come with us.

42. Angela W says:

Interestingly, my family suffers from many intolerances and allergies. It hasn’t always seemed this way until we got away from things that bothered us. One can’t have milk, chocolate, pork, or anything that has so much as touched any of those. Two of us can’t have sunflower or it’s oil. One can’t have bananas, avacados, kiwi, and I can’t have aloe. None can have shellfish. Not only are these things often included in many foods pre-prepared that are “healthy” alternatives, but here in the south if you refuse pork, they tell you that you’re legalistic! We just have a running list of thing we have to avoid. While none of them cause anaphylactic shock on contact, we have been told by our doctor that the more often we contact them the more likely a reaction like that can happen. Not only are these in foods but many are in skin and hair care products, hand soaps, and items meant for our good. I attempt to accommodate folks who have allergies as well and if I can’t because of short notice, I let them know in advance to bring something they can eat, but we in no way exclude people or try and belittle them because they aren’t participating int eh food or whatever. We always try and make it so they can take part in some part of our fellowship!

43. […] One of the ironies about Doug Wilson’s writings on food is that he has gone to great lengths over the years to try to show that we cannot really trust the science behind what the, so called, ‘experts’ tell us. Other pastors in his presbytery have also chimed in on this anti-science bandwagon, delighting to list all the times when science has got things wrong. Yet at the same time as dismissing the entire scientific establishment when it comes to issues of health, Wilson apparently thinks we have warrant for accepting his radically idiosyncratic views on the science of health, such as that in order for an allergy to be symptomatic it has to be visible, a view which has no grounding in any peer reviewed research and which functions in the context of Wilson’s polemics to obscure the distinction between an allergy and a food intolerance. (For an excellent Biblical-based response to Wilson’s views on food intolerances, see Stacy McDonald’s excellent article ‘Just Eat It?‘) […]

44. Scott says:

Just a few years ago I was the model of health, but began to suddenly decline quite rapidly, and after a couple of years I ended up being declared legally disabled.

My first symptom was pretty severe lower back pain and then my cognitive abilities began to diminish, and then the horrible fatigue and then my vision went screwy, and then my balance and then the brain fog set in…at times the brain fog was very much like dementia…I felt at times like I could slip off into never-never land….my memory had been greatly reduced. I also became very sensitive to computers and TVs…they would make me very dizzy and foggy…pretty common evidently…EMF sensitivity….my blood pressure was messed up, pretty low….my heart would take off racing from time to time…many other weird symptoms that I have forgotten…

I became “allergic” /sensitive/intolerant to everything outside and most things inside as well. I was also reduced to eating just 3 or 4 foods for well over 1 year, as I was highly reactive to everything else. My body would react negatively for up to 3 days, making me to have something similar to the flu but worse.

In addition to outdoor pollens and foods, I became highly reactive to laundry detergents, fabric softners, perfumes, gasoline and on and on.

After 18 doctors…neurologists, ENTS, brain surgeons, audiologists, neuroopthalmologists, immunologists, and others I can’t remember (none of whom provided any help at all ), in addition to every allergy test under the sun (all of which came up completely negative) I finally made my way to the Environmental Health Center of Dallas.

Within 15 minutes, Dr. Rea asked “have you had your house tested for toxic mold?” I said “no, why would I, my house is brand new”…he said “because you have it, your symptoms are classic”
    He told me to have my house tested and if he was correct, then I needed to move out right away.

I did have it tested and Dr. Rea was correct and it turned out that I had toxic black mold behind some sheetrock in my brand new house. We did move out for about 8 months. I firmly believe Dr. Rea saved my life with that advice.

In my case, these neurotoxins triggered an auto-immune epidemic in my body along with debilitating neurological symptoms.

I should mention that the mold toxins are not really any different that any other toxin…all toxins are simply put, poison. At the Environmental Health Center of Dallas, I met a great many people that had been poisoned by mold toxins, heavy metal poisoning from manufacturing processes, chemical poisoning from lab work, poisoning from surgical implants, some had just accumulated poisons over the course of their lives.

Here is a list of symptoms that others have experienced as a result of mold exposure:

Moving out did me a world of good…but it didn’t make me well.

I didn’t start really getting well until I found LDA Immunotherapy (called EPD in England) and LDN (low dose naltrexone).

LDA Immunotherapy (called EPD in England) has an incredible success rate, 80% of patients are cured within one year, with no more treatment needed, ever. The remaining 20% typically require just a little longer before a cure is realized. The failure rate is less than 5%.

Many “typical” doctors will stick people on steroids, and people will often find relief, but LDA and LDN work completely opposite of the steroid. The steroid, as I understand it, suppresses your immune system so that you don’t react and thus inflammation in the body is decreased and thus your symptoms decrease. However, long term use of steroid therapy can lead to some fairly serious complications.

LDA and LDN on the other hand stimulate and retrain your immune system so that in rather short amount of time you literally have a new immune system that doesn’t react to normal stuff. LDA and LDN do not work at the Ig level, but instead at the T Cell level.

The way LDA works is to stimulate the production of new helper T cells. Our old T cells have bad memories, they think we are sensitive or intolerant or allergic to certain things in the environment, sometimes hundreds of things. Imagine if your body is reacting even slightly to 300 different foods, inhalants, pets, and common chemicals like perfume or scented laundry detergent. This extreme immune system reaction leads to a whole host of bodily dysfunctions including pervasive micro inflammation and neuro-muscular responses that cause incredible pain and much more. Well this very type of scenario is the commonality between all auto-immune disorders.

So LDA injects you with about 5,000 different low dose antigens, (foods, chemicals, pets, inhalants, bacteria) so low that your current immune system won’t react, and then the LDA mix has an enzyme that stimulates the production of new helper T cells. The new T cells learn that you are not allergic/intolerant/sensitive to all those antigens. So the idea is to let all your old bad memory T cells die, and load your body up with new T cells that have good memories. It can literally permanently turn off all allergies/reactions/sensitivities/intolerance’s.

Many times people don’t even know their body is reacting to things in their environment, they simply know they do not feel good, and they don’t know why.

One year ago, I barely had the strength to walk into Dr. Brian Lamkin’s office in Edmond OK, due to this auto-immune epidemic in my body. I was basically confined to my bed for 2 years.

Thanks to LDA Immunotherapy and LDN (low dose naltrexone), today I am doing a pull up routine and I am on day 120 or so, of P90X…

My point? Well, for one I just want people to know that allergy tests can only do what an allergy test is designed to do, which is to test for Ig mediated allergies. In my case and in many other people, we are not dealing with Ig mediated allergies but instead T Cell mediated immune system responses.

So when Dougy Wilson and his uninformed lot blather on, they are blathering from complete ignorance….ignorance from a medical perspective and ignorance from an anecdotal or experiential perspective (they have fortunately for themselves, never lived through something so terrible).

Those of us who have lived through these things and understand their reality, must bear with folks like Wilson, by not being offended by his ignorance as well as by doing what we can to help those who are experiencing poor health to regain it.

It’s a fact that often times one simply cannot regain their health without radically changing ones diet. …and many times that will mean that we must decline dinner invitations and/or politely refrain from eating foods that are offered by hospitable people.

The good and/or bad bacteria and fungi in our guts feed on certain foods….even very small amounts. Those bugs in our gut comprise nearly 80% of our immune system and what bugs dominate can dramatically affect our cognitive abilities, our personality, our ability to function as a human should.