January 19, 2013 by Stacy McDonald

Creamy Pumpkin Coconut Soup

This is a repost, but I thought I’d share it again with some of my newer readers…
Okay folks, this one is going in the “keeper” file at our house. Emma and I whipped up this soup last night for our Sunday night supper tonight. Yum! Healthy, easy to make, and delicious! Enjoy!
1/2 C. chopped shallots
2 T. chopped fresh garlic
2 – 13 1/2 oz. cans of unsweetened coconut milk (with the cream)
3 lb. cooked pumpkin (canned pumpkin can be used in a pinch)
1 1/2 C. loosely packed semi-chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp. salt
3-5 T. fish sauce (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper
chopped fresh chives
Chop and brown shallots and garlic in 1 T. coconut oil. Add broth, coconut milk, and pureed pumpkin. (It is possible to start with raw, seeded, and peeled chunks of pumpkin, and then puree mixture at this stage in batches. Cook on medium until hot. Prior to serving, add fish sauce, salt, and cilantro. Garnish with chives and fresh black pepper.

13 Responses to “Creamy Pumpkin Coconut Soup”

1. sarah says:

oh yum. This looks delicious, and I plan on making it for supper some time this week. Thanks for sharing.

2. Miss Jen says:

Oh my… sounds delectable! :)
    I can't wait to try it Mrs.McDonald!

Blessings to you!!

Love in Christ~ Jen

3. Mrs. Lady Sofia says:

This looks and sounds GOOD! I'm going to attempt to make this for my husband in the future.

I want to try this, but I have a few questions.

1) What are shallots, and can you find them in the grocery store? I know this may sound like a silly question, but I'm new to the full-time homemaking arena.

2) What section of the grocery store can you find coconut milk?

3) Can you substitute something else in place of the fish sauce? I've never had that before, and I am afraid it might be too strong for our tastes here.

4) When you served this soup, did you just serve the soup by itself or with something else?

Sorry for all the questions, but I need ALL the help I can! Thank you for your patience.

~Mrs. Lady Sofia~

4. Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe says:

That sounds unusual and maybe worth a try. BTW, what happened to the Ladies Against Feminism widget? It disappeared from my site.

5. Laurel says:

What is fish sauce? Tartar sauce?

Hi, Lady Sofia – shallots are smallish onions (about the size of a garlic clove). They are mild and wonderful in sauces and creamy soups.

Coconut milk is usually in the oriental foods section at the grocery store. I use it in all sorts of things. I now get mine through my co-op.

I know fish sauce doesn't "sound" appetizing, but it really is necessary, and it is very, very good in many dishes. I make a stir fried rice noodle dish that absolutely demands fish sauce. :-)

You will probably need to serve it as a side dish, unless you're serving it for lunch. A hearty salad with sliced, grilled chicken laid across the top would be perfect.

Mary, I'm not sure what happened to your widget. Mine seems to be working ok. I have had graphics and other things mysteriously disappear off my blog before. Perhaps it's a blogger glitch.

Laurel, fish sauce is actually anchovy extract, but please don't let that scare you! :-) It really is good in the right recipes!

7. Michelle says:

I agree about the Fish Sauce Stacy – it smells horrid but adds a great flavour to foods!

Mrs Lady Sofia – you may know shallots as Spring Onions (based on how Stacy described them).

Shallots in Sydney, Australia are different Stacy! I think you would call our shallots scallions. And cilantro is called coriander here…even with the different terms your recipes always sound great!

Michelle,

Hmmm…the scallions I'm familiar with are similar to green onions. Here is a photo of a shallot: http://www.bonappetit.com/images/tips_tools_ingredients/ingredients/ttar_shallot_v.jpg

And when we refer to coriander, we're talking about the seed of cilantro. Cilantro is the leaf only.

It's funny how different foods have different meanings depending on where you live. I find that true even having moved from Texas to Illinois.

9. Michelle says:

Wow – those shallots are very different!

These are out shallots – http://www.taste.com.au/images/articles/untitled10251011.jpg – if ever I post a recipe on the PW list that calls for shallots I am talking about those! In my husband's home state they are called spring onions, and what we call spring onions they call shallots! My mil asked me to get some shallots and of course I brought home my sort of shallots, not hers! Thankfully they are fairly interchangable in a potato salad!

The ones you shared a link to are called French Shallots here!

I've never had to use the seed of coriander – I either use fresh leaf coriander or dried, powdered coriander (depends on the recipe, of course!).

Love Michelle

10. Jo says:

I assume the fish sauce isn’t too over powering in the soup – it does smell pretty horrible but adds body to a dish. It sounds like a Thai recipe.

Spring onions are different to scallions in Australia – isn’t it funny how things change depending on the country you are in.

11. Michelle says:

Hello…
    Just found your blog and it is such a blessing…thank you! So much info to gather and learn from. My daughters will reap rewards from me spending a little time here!
    Abundant Blessings,
    Michelle

12. Kelsey says:

That looks so yummy:) Thank you for posting!

Blessings,
    Kelsey

13. Albana L. says:

YUMMM!!! Glad i came across your blog!

Please check out my new blog @ http://www.enrichedmarket.com/blog.asp
    and online store @ http://www.enrichedmarket.com

Like us on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/enrichedmarket

I am brand new at this, a stay at home mom, trying to participate in the natural alternative world and help spread the word on wonderful things such as Essential Oils, natural living and simplicity :)