August 7, 2012 by Stacy McDonald

Tips for Tired Moms

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to have a good attitude and to speak kindly to others when you’re tired or when you don’t feel well?

We certainly can’t blame our sin on physical symptoms; we’re all responsible for our own actions—even if we’re tired or hungry or hormonal. And, God will sometimes call us to obey, even in physically difficult circumstances, giving us the Grace that we need to avoid sin. Similar to the mother who takes her toddler to the grocery store at nap time, and without lunch, I have a responsibility to not put myself (or my children) in a position where I’m very likely to have a hard time controlling my emotions.

“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)

So, if I know I have trouble guarding my tongue, speaking kindly, or having a cheerful attitude, what things might God use to provide for me a “way of escape”?

1.       God’s Word

a.       Faithfully study God’s Word (Psalm 119:105).

b.      Memorize His Word (Psalm 119:11).

a.       Sprinkle Scripture wherever you’re likely to read it (bathrooms, refrigerator, walls, bulletin boards, vehicles, coffee table, nightstands). This is especially helpful for moms in the season of little ones, when quiet, isolated Bible study may not always be possible (Deuteronomy 11:20).

2.      Prayer

a.       Depending upon the season of life you are in, this will look different in each mom’s life. But, don’t forsake your fellowship with Jesus (Philippians 4:6).

3.       Peaceful Music

a. God has given us our senses for a purpose. It has been scientifically proven that certain music causes peaceful emotions, while other music raises our heart rate and stresses our body. Certain music literally makes my brain feel chaotic.

b. Avoid television for some of the same reasons.

4.      Healthy Meals

a.       When your body is healthy and properly energized, you will find it easier to have a good attitude.

5.       Protein Snacks

a.       Blood sugar drops can make self control more difficult. Plan ahead, by making easy, high protein, healthy snacks to eat during the day.

6.       Pay Attention to Hormone Fluctuations or Imbalance

a.       Pay attention to when your cycle is coming and try not to plan big or stressful events during that time.

b.      If you notice a possible hormonal imbalance, get it checked out. Out of whack hormones can make it very difficult to function properly. Read Mothering Under the Influence of Hormones to get an idea of what I mean.

7.       Get Enough Sleep

a.       Don’t stay up late unnecessarily when you know you’ll need to get up early. I have a very hard time having a good attitude when my children wake me up early, after I’ve stayed up too late!

8.       Train Children to be Helpful

a.       Good for you and good for them! Early training pays off later for the whole family.

9.       Schedule and Discipline

a.       Find what works for your family and stick to it!

21 Responses to “Tips for Tired Moms”

1. Theresa says:

What a great post, Stacy. Lots of helpful reminders of what we can do to find the way of escape. I would love to link to this post on my blog. May I do that?

2. Hannah says:

Great post! Thank you.

3. Renee says:

Those are all great tips, thanks for sharing!

4. JJ Francis says:

Thank you for this! It is especially helpful as I have just delivered our 5th child and am in the midst of sleepless nights =)!

Theresa – please feel free!

6. Mosey says:

Thank you for sharing this important reminder, I have been chronically Ill and in pain for quite a while. I needed to hear it.

7. Don & Shelly says:

Stacy, thanks for the post. Along with the others, we are big on #3 around here. While we have nothing against contemporary praise and worship music, we find it can really wear us out. Peacefulness is in short supply these days and we don’t help matters when we’re “jamming” all of the time.

That’s it…. shh, shh…. peace. ;)

8. Robin says:

Thank you so much for this post! I am reading it in the early morning after a late night because of flooding in our basement. I am going to start on some of these tips right away!

9. These are great and so helpful!! Thank you! You’re blog looks wonderful!

10. Thandi says:

I can’t agree enough. These are the things that keep me going when I’m on my last bit of energy and feel like I need to run away and hide.

11. Thank you! I wish I had read this before yesterday when I had “one of those days”…But now, I have read it and will be better prepared for the next time!

God bless

12. Thank you for this timely reminder, Stacy. I am newly pregnant with our 5th baby so exhaustion and nausea are the theme of my days. Yet I know that He created us for this and that He gives us the tools to overcome these weeks with a meek and quiet spirit.

13. Tonya says:

Wait, you failed to mention COFFEE!?!?! Just kidding! Great post!! :-)

14. Laura says:

I so remember the day I sat down to read the Word after my husband had left for night shift. Baby was not sleeping well and would sometimes take her outside to keep her quiet so that her daddy could get some sleep during the day. This meant walking in the snow..Both us us were exhausted. The chapter I was reading was Isaiah 57 and verse 17 stood out to me. “You art wearied int he greatness of thy way ” Thank the Lord for the comfort and transforming Word through all those days and to this day. That baby is now in her twenties and married. It is good to look back and remember His mercies. To this day, when it seems I cannot go on during the day, I have a list of what I call my weary songs that I sing, including the chorus ‘The Joy of the Lord d is my Strength, Day by Day by Lina Sandell and a silly song Called “It’s A Lovely Day Today” from Musical Call Me Madam. I cannot agree more on the importance of the Word reading . It is amazing how much singing can help. Memorizing the Word and a hymn continue to be important Alan Cains in his book The Lord ‘s Prayer gives a good hint , “Young mothers ..only dream of being able to have a daily quiet time…..a godly husband will realize that if his wife is to be that wise woman who builds her house… the best thing he can do for her is to ensure that she has time to meet with God. ( page 13 and 14)
    Thank you, always for your post, Stacy. They are good for us older woman, too!

15. Diane says:

Wise words, as always Stacy?

16. Michelle says:

Excellent post and a topic many of us can relate to on a daily basis. Many people can’t see how a mom could lose her cool, but many moms an attest to feeling tired and overwhelmed. It is wise knowledge to know how to handle day to day stress within the words of our savior.

17. Ann Sanders says:

Thank you so much for this reminder, Stacy. I am reading this early in the morning after being up really late last night working on adoption paperwork! Good reason, but also need to guard today when the other boys wake up. Pouring yourself into scripture is such a key.

18. Kay says:

Thank you for this timely and gentle reminder. I was having a difficult week. Your post refocused me onhow to overcome these challenges with the wisdom that He has provided.

19. Tiana Krenz says:

Hi Stacy, thanks for the reminder. This is all stuff I know about, but I’m in a very “tired” season of life right now (a lot of reasons outside of my control, but some that I do have control over), and it’s hard to convince myself to make the effort to do these things–especially when I’m discouraged, the emotional energy is low and the number of things to think about it high. I look at this list and almost all of them are out of balance right now.

20. Debbie says:

I agree with you Stacy, My big thing is eating well and sleeping. I need both to be a happy mom.

21. Marcelle N Griffith says:

I thank God for your words on ‘Tips for tired Moms’ I will try my best to to apply these words to my life. Thank You again.