August 13, 2012 by Stacy McDonald

Rejection: Friend or Foe?

“You shall no longer be termed Forsaken, nor shall your land any more be termed Desolate; but you shall be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah; For the Lord delights in you….” (Isaiah 62:4)

So, why do so many of us try to live in the land of the forsaken when we have been invited to the land of the cherished? (Eph. 5:29-30) Why do we close our healed eyes to what He has changed and walk in the torment and fears of the lost? Why do we hide in the false comfort of familiar pain, cowering alone deep in our souls, when we have been called to be a city on a hill? (Matt 5:14) Sometimes pain is comfortable—it’s what we know.

If I can forget, maybe they can too. If I can hide myself, I can’t be rejected. If I can blind myself to who I really am, maybe I will go away—at least that part of me—the cowering girl who no one wants.

“When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me.” (Psalm 27:10)

But I won’t go away. Closing my eyes to my wretchedness will not hide my wicked heart, or my twisted worthlessness—even from myself.

Run—Hide—Pretend—Forget—Remember—Cry—Hate—Run—Hide…

Rejection was my foe. He stood over me with a gleaming dagger, mocking me, imminent victory gleaming in his eyes. My heart pounded. I closed my eyes and turned my head to the fate I knew I deserved. “I wouldn’t want me either,” I thought.

Yet, suddenly, with each beat of my heart, the footsteps of my Beloved pounded in my head. Could it be?

A voice charged with passion and authority thundered through the air, “She is Mine.” It is all He said.

From where I lay, I could see the nail marks in His feet.

I looked up and realized my foe was gone. All that remained of him was the dagger in my own hand.

“But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?” (Galatians 4:9)

The words burned through my mind with a healing heat, searing their meaning into my soul: “She is Mine.”

Safe—wanted—loved—cherished.

“I am my beloved’s, and his desire is toward me.” (Song of Solomon 7:10)

Pray:

Lord, help me to see myself the way You see me—to know and remember that You have orchestrated my steps. You have walked in and experienced my pain. You have loved me in my ugliness, and washed me clean. Remind me that regardless of who lets me down, You never will. Regardless of who may forget me, You will never forget.

“Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me.” (Isaiah 49:15-16)

Lord, You have my name engraved on the palm of Your hands; engrave that truth on my mind and heart.

“For the Lord has called you like a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a youthful wife when you were refused,” Says your God.” (Isaiah 54:6)

Let my spirit be consumed with the fact that You will never leave me nor forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:6). “In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (Psalm 56:11)

Help me to walk in victory over that treacherous foe You have already defeated; help me to recall and use the testimony of Your mercy and grace in my life to overcome the lies of this world (Revelation 12:11).

13 Responses to “Rejection: Friend or Foe?”

1. Carla says:

God bless you!

2. Julie says:

So encouraging! Beautifully written. Thank you.

3. Marianne Gum says:

I cannot thank you enough for this timely post. The attack was so real, and frightening, and next day I had this word in my inbox. Thank You, LORD.

4. Lori Devine says:

Wow, I needed that!

5. Georgia says:

Not being able to fit in for any reason is the worst feeling in the world. Isaiah 54:6 says it like it is. For many people who lacked social and academic skills, maybe heavy or unattractive, deal with rejection all the time. This post was helpful.

6. Courtney says:

I’ve been reading your blog for about 2 years now, but I’ve never commented. I just wanted to tell you how much this post spoke to me and moved me. I can completely relate to this. This very thing has been the battle of my life for years now. I think I might print this out and keep it in my bible or something so I can read it again and again. What a neat ministry you have that you can encourage people you’ve never even met!
    Courtney

7. Tracy says:

This is such an excellent post, it’s prompted my first comment ever to your blog. It is balanced and very well written. I posted it on my Facebook page and several of my friends shared it on theirs as well. No doubt this post will make its rounds! Thank you for addressing such an important, yet sensitive topic, with such grace.

I remember as a teenager, I visited my best friend who lived in another town. I had been friends with her for several years and was close to her family, but I was not really walking with the Lord at the time. I wore my cheerleading sweatpants over to her house which had the name of our school right on the rear end. My friend’s father said something to me. He asked me if I thought it was appropriate to draw attention to my rear end. I was so embarassed and could think of nothing else the rest of the evening and was very self-conscious. He felt comfortable saying something to me because I was like one of his daughters. Thankfully, he pulled me aside, with my friend, to say something, and did not say it in front of everyone there.

It has stuck with me all these years and I’m 40. Don’t underestimate the impact that a gentle, loving, reprimand can have on another person. Yes, I was embarassed, but it was my own fault. Yes, I did end up changing pants. :)

8. Abigail says:

Thank you so much for that encouragement. Sometimes I find myself dwelling on mistakes I’ve made in the past and not being joyful that I’ve been redeemed. I’m so thankful that the Lord has loved me in spite of my unloveliness and made me his own.

9. Cassandra Scott says:

Where did you get the story in the middle of the article? This was a beautiful post. Thank you so much.

Thanks, Cassandra. I wrote the middle story to go with an earlier post HERE.

11. Blessings! says:

Palm 27:10…have I not seen this before in my life?! I grew up in a single parent home where my mom said she was trying to find the right man to be the father her first husband didn’t want to be to her.

I cam to know the Lord as a girl and have been growing ever since. Learning mostly from Him as I irregularly read from His inspired word with no encouragement from classmates, my older sister, or my mom. I was a “shot gun” reader for the longest time. Thankfully the Father spoke to me in those times and grew me. When I was fifteen I met my-now- husband who read and thought completely different from anyone I had ever met. It’s the way the Father made him, of that I am certain! *smile* I started reading the verses and text in context asking my husband the questions I had rather than whoever would listen to my questions at the time. To get consistant answers and thought provoking thoughts from this man the Lord has given me was amazing.
    Now we have two growing children that we are homeschooling. I have always considered how I dressed and have always dressed conservatively (my mom used to wear short shorts and tube tops just to name a few things) and I went from jeans and t-shirts to dresses and skirts all the time. Not much of a difference, but enough that my mom and sister look at me like I am odd and want more to do with our children than with me. And now, as I revisit the topic of head covering I am once again convicted (this is the third time in 13 years of merrage) to cover. Nothing big or showy, just somthing that will stay on when I do things with the children and the like. *smile* And once again they don’t want to talk about it. As I dig deeper into His words and teachings I am convicted about different things in my life from the kind of wife and mom I ought to be to the kind of daughter I always thought I sould be. This is not easy by any means and I am very thankful for my beloved husband and best friend because I know that He understands what I am studying and why I am making the changes I am making. He is in the canue with me and the Lord is rowing it for us. We are thankful but the pain of not having what I would consider a good relationship with my mom nor my in-laws for the same reasons, really hurts my heart. I want to have less and less contact with them beacuse it hurts so bad that they don’t want to walk the things they know and say they understand.
    What do we do?! We PRAY! We ask the Lord to guide us and that He would call them into a right relationship with Him. That they would grow in His ways. It’s all we can do. Though their lack of support in all areas of our life hurts to the core of us and we cling to the Lord and each other even more. His blessings overflow and we are eternally greatful! Thank you for sharing the verse in Psalm, now for me to hide that one in my heart. *big smile* Sincerely, Mommy of two growing blessings & so much more!

12. Sandra says:

I stumbled across your lovely website. I’ve been in my hiding place for the past two days. My 17 year old daughter said something to me that floored me to the core. I went into my shell. It seems that either I talk too loud or I scream according to my husband, and two teenagers. Yes, I’m a born-again Christian, married to one husband for 18 years whose a minister. I home schooled my two kids for eight years. With all that said, it seems that I just want to walk away and leave everything behind. Why? Because I feel I’m the reason for the frustration and irritation in my home. I’ve been told most of my life to either be quiet or watch what you say. I feel as though I can’t say anything to my children. I’ve actually vowed to be silent and let the chips fall where they may. I’m so through. Thanks for the encouraging words though.

13. Abigail Wood says:

Beautiful. The acceptance and love of Christ is the most powerful thing in the universe, isn’t it?

Thank you for reminding me.