June 16, 2012 by Stacy McDonald

Trusting God with Our Children

“It is not your business to succeed, but to do right: when you have done so, the rest lies with God.” ~ Clive Staples Lewis (1898 – 1963)

I try to share with moms who are having parenting struggles, and I try to remember myself when I don’t seem to be getting through to a child: We are only called to be faithful in training our children; we must remember that it is He who does the work in the heart. The answer is neither to give up trying, leaving that child to rule himself; nor is it to twist and fret over their apparent lack of inward obedience.

Often we try to carry the mental load and “make sure” they get it, which can cause great frustration and even anger. That is because we’re taking on the job of the Holy Spirit. And that is why we often stagger under the load…we want to force things, forgetting that outward compliance does not necessarily mean inward obedience.

Yes, we must make sure our children obey; but, we must also trust that the Lord will deal with their hearts. God speaks to the heart…God woos our children. Train, Pray, Discipline, Nurture, Love, Trust the Lord, Watch God work.

I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. (1 Corinthians 3:6–7)

7 Responses to “Trusting God with Our Children”

1. Amanda says:

THANK YOU. We are most struggling with one of my 3 year old twin girls these days: the two are parented the exact same way, are constantly prayed with and prayed for, yet have different personalities and vastly different behaviors from time to time. I appreciate the reminder (again…I seem to need to be beaten over the head with it) that God does the ‘heart’ work. :-)

2. Nancy says:

i have 10 yr old son who, was baptized today..a tender age and was looking for pointers on ministering to a young man this age. he forgets to do his chores everyday, how can I help him remember.

3. MomasDoctor says:

What a wonderful post and a beautiful blog. Thank you for sharing so much with all of us.

4. Kelly says:

Thank you so much for this post. I am a new stepmother to a 12 year old girl and I have no children of my own. She is struggling and I find myself feeling desperate to help her get it….thank you for the reminder that God will do the work in her heart.

5. Katie says:

This can totally apply to big sisters, too! Which is what it does in my case. I also printed this off for my mom. Thanks for the words of encouragement!
    Katie

6. TJ says:

This is a Biblical truth that I didn’t understand during my children’s early years.

Thank you for speaking Biblical truth without compromise.

7. Laura says:

Wow – a word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. I really needed to hear that. Our 3 year old (who is normally very laid back, compliant, not strong willed) has just entered into this phase where **every time** she has to be disciplined, she is using every ounce of muscle in her to try to avoid receiving her due punishment. I know it’s just a phase that we have to trudge through, but it really gets under my skin sometimes (just bein’ honest!) because I go through all the right “steps” and her heart still isn’t changed. This post has encouraged me to still be faithful in training, loving & disciplining her, but to be patient in that it’s God that changes her heart. Thank you so much!