May 19, 2012 by Stacy McDonald

Teaching the Younger Women in Your Life…

Admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. (Titus 2:4–5)

In Titus 2, we older women are instructed to teach the younger women the following seven things (over the next few weeks, each of the following topics will turn into live links). The job isn’t given to men; it’s given to us. Are you shaking and trembling? Me too!

• To love their husbands
  • To love their children
  • To be discreet
  • To be chaste
  • To be homemakers
  • To be good
  • To be obedient to their own husbands

So, why don’t we see much of this teaching happening in the church today? Why are so many young women floundering? Even ladies’ Bible studies often avoid many of these topics. Could it be that our modern culture has either rejected many of these virtues, or at least minimized them; and, because of that, even Christian women have been indoctrinated and impacted by worldly thinking?

It’s probably not an accident that out of all the things listed in the Titus 2 chart below, the topics given to the young women are the least embraced and the most attacked in our feministic culture. No wonder our young women are struggling!

To Older Women:

Still, we older Christian women are supposed to know better. We have Bibles, after all; and we’ve lived long enough to have a few things to share. Why aren’t we teaching the young women these things?

Is it because so many young women aren’t teachable; therefore, we older women are afraid? It could be. I know for me, I’d much prefer to laugh and enjoy the young women in my life (including my daughters) without the uncomfortable burden of “confronting” anything. Especially when such efforts are often less than welcomed, and sometimes backfire on us! It’s not fun being the bad guy, is it? But, remember Proverbs 27:6!

Or could it also be that we older women are not always living out the very things we are supposed to be teaching? In a culture that worships youth and physical perfection, many older women, forgetting Proverbs 31:30, reject their “older woman” status and cling instead to an over ripe youth – spoiling the fruitful beauty of the “hoary head” (Prov. 16:31) and offering young women only confusion and disillusionment (1 John 2:15-17).

And some older women have bought into the lie of feminism and openly reject the gift of marriage and children. I recently overheard an older woman telling a friend, “I encourage young women to do themselves a favor and wait until they’re in their 40′s to have children; because then maybe they’ll be too old.” At that point, both women burst into laughter.

Hopefully, most Christian women aren’t quite this callous to the idea of children and family; however, since the advent of easily accessible birth control and abortion, there has certainly been a distinct decline in the way our culture, and even the church, views having children (especially more than 1 or 2).

We older women should also remember the admonition Paul gave to us: to be reverent, not slanderers, not given to much wine, and teachers of good things. Obviously, we should already have a track record for living out those “good things” that we’re supposed to be teaching the younger women. But, we are still supposed to be actively teaching them. It’s not optional.

“The nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes. Ezekiel 36:23

To Younger Women:

Young woman, are you teachable? Are you seeking out godly older women and learning at their feet? Are you willing to listen when they speak into your life? Or do you become angry, irritated, defensive, or perhaps amused by what you consider to be “outdated” teachings? Do you have what the Bible calls a “stiff neck?” Young women, learn wisdom and “incline your ear and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart” to knowledge…”

And, young ladies, remember to turn to your mother and other godly women for wisdom. Don’t elevate the words of your peers above the good counsel God gives you through your parents. Honor your mother and father, and obey the authorities in your life. Remember, Scripture calls you to “obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you (Hebrews 13:17).

Your parents and elders are in your life for a reason. When you resist godly counsel, not only do you bring grief to those who are charged with your teaching and care, but you literally shoot yourself in the foot. It’s not profitable for you; you move backward and not forward (Jer. 7:24).

Call to Action

How about you? Have you been faithful? If not, are you ready to repent and get busy obeying God by teaching and living out His Word! Are you willing?

Over the next few weeks, we will explore the seven things older women are instructed to teach younger women, even as we seek to apply them to our own lives!

“Denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly…” Titus 2:12

Click on the image below to enlarge.

14 Responses to “Teaching the Younger Women in Your Life…”

1. Lori says:

My whole blog is dedicated to this topic. I think older women not wanting to nor being obedient themselves in these areas along with younger women being so influenced by feminism and having hard hearts are the reasons marriages are falling apart. It has been amazing to see the transformation in marriages, however, when these truths are taught and applied. God’s ways are wonderful and they work!

2. Crystal says:

I look forward to the next few weeks posts and hope to glean much from them. What do you suggest for those who don’t have older women to teach them these things?

Hi Crystal,

God’s Word tells us that he is a father to the fatherless and a defender of the widow (Psalm 68:5). He says that He will “feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young (Isaiah 40:11).” Therefore, we don’t need to worry! He is always faithful to supply our needs.

We are not abandoned! Though men may let us down, God never will. He will equip us to do whatever He calls us to do. We learn in James 1:5 that “if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” Pray! Ask God to either supply you with older women in person, or to supply you with what they should be teaching (either in books, phone calls, videos, conferences, etc.) And you may be need to hurry up and learn, so that you can be that older woman in your church!

4. Shelby L'Rae says:

Thank you, Mrs. McDonald, I so look forward to this series. The Lord has blessed me with a good deal of older “Titus 2″ women of the faith… my own mother being my dearest teacher of all. But I was admonished by your post today to be sure to view her that way – as my dearest teacher. I do love to be discipled by older women, but I fall into the trap of being teachable outside of the home – where we are, unhappily, naturally on our best behavior – but may take lightly (or even resent) my own dear mother’s correction and teaching. By God’s grace, this shameful attitude within me will be broken and I will be able to truly rise up and call my mother blessed, as the Scripture so requires of me. Thank you for your steadfast encouragement. <3

5. Beautiful Stacy! I love it!! There was a discussion amongst friends and acquaintances the other day about marriage, etc…. one of the single girls quoted “it is better to remain single…” then added “that’s my favorite verse in the Bible.!” She was serious and I almost choked. Looking forward to the rest of the series!!

6. Jenn Hoskins says:

I have prayed for an older Titus 2 woman in my life for so long, books can only go so far! I had one for a short time and she was amazing. She called me out on so much I was doing wrong with great boldness and love. She truly helped sculpt me to Biblical womanhood. That was a blessed season and I would love another Titus 2 woman to pour wisdom into me! Understanding the blessing of a rebuke is a huge thing many younger women do not understand. Receiving a rebuke with grace is something that must be taught, maybe then more older titus 2 women will not be scared of the reactions from younger women.

7. Kim says:

Thank you, Stacy, for your encouagement! I am a looking forward to hearing more on this subject.

8. My heart is there with you, Stacy:) on this topic. I liked the phrase you brought some considering the counsel “too outdated”–I’ve run into that one a few times and it saddens me when I see young women reject God’s Word because they consider it old fashioned stuff that doesn’t apply anymore.
    Blessings,
    Rhonda Devine

9. Stacey says:

Thank you for covering this topic.

I’m in my mid-thirties and still consider myself to be a ‘younger woman’ in need of mentoring from ‘older women’, but I’ve just this year realised that I’m acquiring women younger than me, just at the start of their adult journey, who regard me as *their* older woman. I also have two young daughters.

It’s quite sobering to think that even though I’m a very long way from having it all together, I’ve got a responsibility to pass on the knowledge I *do* have – whether it is borrowed knowledge, things that I would like to have implemented but struggle with, or the stuff that I truly do have a handle on.

Thank you for helping me to be more conscious of this responsibility, and for articulating the areas of particular importance.

Hi Stacey – I’m in my mid-forties and feel the same way!!!

11. Malia Thain says:

Thank you Stacy. I have lately been weary of teaching the younger when my teenage daughters seem so proud and disinterested. I have 7 daughters. I was blessed by your reminder to be faithful on my end and pray for God can only change hearts. Not me. I will stay tuned.

12. Gina Smith says:

God is awesome. As I was praying this morning I was thinking about my son’s girlfriend who just has started reaching out to me. As I was praying, the Holy Spirit put in my mind “and teach the younger women. ” So I jumped online did a quick search and of course several references to Titus 2:4-5 came up. I saw “your sacredcalling.com.” I truly believe God led me here for a reason. I am grateful for your site. I would appreciate any feedback on how to start really go out and teach these young women. So many need this. Thank you. May God continue to bless and prosper you.

13. Judy says:

Great article! I’m sort of computer-clueless. :) Can someone help me find the rest of the articles in this series? Thanks!

14. rhonda Layman says:

I am wanting to start a Titus 2 Ministry in my church. Speaking with my pastor about it today. Any suggestions, topics, ideas, resources would be appreciated and welcomed.
    Thanks.