November 6, 2011 by Stacy McDonald

Mexican Green Tomato Garlic Soup

Fall is here and winter is on its way. Today we harvested the last of our garden and prepared the ground for next year. Now, what to do with all the wonderful green tomatoes and peppers? Tonight we made this Tex-Mex inspired soup and served it with corn bread and a salad. Everyone said it was a keeper, so I thought I’d share the recipe while I remembered what all we put in it.

Monday we’re going to make Salsa Verde for the freezer. Usually we use tomatillos, but I’m anxious to see if green tomatoes work just as well! Adios!

• 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1 bunch chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon Beau Monde seasoning or celery salt
  • Garlic powder
  • Cumin
  • Chili Powder
  • dash Tabasco sauce, optional
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation:

Heat half the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add onion and chopped garlic. Sauté, stirring, until onion is tender. Add chicken broth, chopped green and red tomatoes, and chopped peppers. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Working in batches, pulse in a blender or food processor until almost smooth. Pour back into the saucepan and add lime juice and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the butter, whisk in heavy whipping cream. Stir in cilantro. Taste and add salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce, as desired. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, bacon bits, white cheddar cheese, and chopped cilantro.

Good served with corn bread!

Serves 12-14.

9 Responses to “Mexican Green Tomato Garlic Soup”

1. I’m SO gonna have to make this soon!

2. I will need to make this one. Hey, I have some cilantro coming up gangbusters in the garden…wish I could get some to you :) Blessings!

3. LuAnne says:

This sounds delicious, and I’m delighted to have another recipe to use my green tomatoes in! Thanks!!

4. Beth Discher says:

Thanks very much for sharing this! We harvested about 300lbs of tomatoes. Many of them are ripening fine but we do lose a percentage. I think it would be wise to try to use some of them green. Great recipe!

Hey! Jacqueline – That cilantro sounds fabulous :)

Looks delicious!!

Stacy, are you going to be re-adding your recommended books, movies, music etc. here?

6. TJ says:

Mrs. McDonald:
    I have enuf green maters for a batch ;o) At which step did you add the meat (bacon or chicken)?

What did you ‘name’ your recipe?

Thank you.

7. Debbie Blick says:

McDonald Maidens you out did yourselves again! Thank you for blessing us on Sunday. It will be on our table tonight!

I’m so glad you liked it, Debbie! And I’m so glad it turned out! :-) It was a bit of an experiment. I took a recipe I found on the Internet and tweaked it.

Now I’m thinking about making a Verde “base” out of the rest of the tomatoes for freezing (I thought I’d use Kelley Bandy’s Verdes recipe and use green tomatoes instead of tomotillos). Then when we want to defrost a jar, we can just add the chicken broth and cream for soup. Or we can use it to make Chicken Verde Casserole, enchiladas, or green sauce (by adding avocado and sour cream). I’ll let you know how it turns out!

9. Hope says:

Perfect! We have four flats of green tomatoes and I’m going to figure out how to use/preserve them all! Post the Salsa Verde recipe when you get it done.

Hope