October 10, 2011 by Stacy McDonald

“Cool Parents”

When I was in high school I had a friend who was allowed to do whatever she wanted to do. My parents were strict, and I remember once telling my friend how “lucky” she was that she had “cool” parents who gave her so much freedom. I’ll never forget her answer. She said, “It’s not really freedom; they just don’t care what I do. Sometimes I think they’re glad when I don’t come home.”

This cartoon reminded me of how my friend must have felt. Though we certainly do not want to keep our children on leashes, boundaries communicate to them love, protection, and value.

9 Responses to ““Cool Parents””

1. Brandy says:

Growing up in a family that DIDN’T give any real boundaries once I hit high school and little boundaries before that … I can give you a hearty AMEN!

2. Lori says:

So good, Stacy. We were known as very strict parents…wouldn’t let our kids do sleepovers, go to most movies, or date but now that they are all grown, they thank us!

3. Alecia Wimer says:

I didn’t have hardly any boundries growing up (I grew up in a pagan household for the most part), and I feel the pain of what communicated very often as an adult. But, my husband and I have been taught of the Lord His ways, and our children have many boundries, and it does seem to make them feel at peace and loved. Isaiah 54:13 “And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.” I don’t want them to live with regrets because of a lack of Biblical instruction and guidance.

4. kathyfannon says:

My parents weren’t cool and I’m so grateful! My kids are 22 and 18 and we weren’t cool either. I wouldn’t have it any other way, because by not being cool we now have a very close relationship with our kids! (And they are amazing people!)

5. I can so relate to this post as I was raised by the “cool” parents my friends all wished they had. My friends had no idea…

6. Mrs. T says:

I remember thinking how “lucky” my friends were who had parents that let them do whatever they wanted, but now, looking back, I’m SO thankful for those protective restrictions my parents put on me! It truly taught me to appreciate them now, as an adult, & also taught me the value of lovingly doing the same for my children.

7. Gabriel H says:

WOW. Wow. What a revealing answer by her. How sad, but how true. “For whom the LORD loves He reproves, Even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.”

If the parent loves the child that should manifest in discipline and in boundaries…

“Sometimes I think they’re glad when I don’t come home.”

My God, how sad.

Even that cartoon is sad!

9. Wow, that is so sad. I remember friends like that or the ones whose parents partied WITH them. Ugh. Always blew my mind. My mom knew where I was at ALL times! And she was strict. Super strict. It’s so hard to find that balance of trusting your kids while still having firm boundaries that aren’t over the top.

Blessings,