September 23, 2010 by Stacy McDonald

Oatmeal Casserole

This is a combination of several different baked oatmeal recipes, tweaked to our liking. Feel free to tweak it further to your liking! Make it fun!

Combing the following ingredients the night before:

3 Cups  rolled oats (not instant)
2 Cups buttermilk (or 2 C. milk + 2 T. kefur, buttermilk, or yogurt)

Mix together and set aside until morning:

1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. Ginger
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

In the morning add:

1 tsp. real vanilla
1/2 Cup butter or coconut oil, melted
½ C. agave or 1/4 C. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten

Bake in a buttered 11 X 7 baking pan at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Top with fruit, chopped nuts, ground flax seeds, warmed milk, or drizzled with warm maple syrup (my favorite!).

17 Responses to “Oatmeal Casserole”

1. Tayler says:

Hi Mrs McDonald,

Thank you for hosting this fun givaway. I can't wait to start baking with it!

~Tayler

2. Miss Jen says:

Congratulations, Tayler!!!! :)

3. Tami says:

congrats to the winner ( why couldn't it have been me? :) )

4. Amanda Read says:

That looks delicious!

My mother makes baked oatmeal with blueberries some times. We all love it.

~Amanda~

5. Anonymous says:

Stacy, Thank you so much for posting the recipes lately. I made the oatmeal this morning (or last night), and it turned out so well. The whole family loved it. This is the best baked oatmeal recipe that I've tried. I soak my grains, also and haven't found a soaked recipe that we like as well as this one. I'm looking forward to the Mexican bean salad recipe.

Blessings to you,
    Amy in AL

6. Lacey says:

The question I want to ask s completely off the subject, but I didn't see a place on your blog to e-mail you.

I was wondering what curriculum you use for home-schooling. I am interested in curriculum that leans towards the Classical model, but cannot seem to find anything that I think would work. Do you buy curriculum packages, or do you piece things together by hand? I am new to home schooling, and we will start kindergarten next year. I don't feel confident enough to put together my own curriculum.

Thanks,
    Lacey

7. Jeanie says:

This sounds sooo good. Silly question here…
    Do I put the mixture that I put aside in the fridge then till morning??

8. Jen says:

This is a terrific recipe, Stacy. Thanks so much for sharing. It is almost like a breakfast "treat". And more importantly, thank you for taking the time to lovingly lead in Christ. Your blog has been such a blessing to me.

9. joyfulhelpmeet says:

What is xagave??? I have never heard of it. That recipe looks SO yummy but i dont know what the xagave is. Can you buy it in Canada.
    p.s
    i love love loved passionate housewives

10. Marisol says:

Thank you so much sister Stacy.
    I am looking forward to trying this recipe with my family!!!

11. STRONGQUIVER says:

I know what we are having for breakfast this morning :) http://www.strongquiver.blogspot.com

12. Sarah says:

This recipe looks so great!!! I am drooling right now! :) I have a container of steel cut Irish oats, would I be able to use those instead of the rolled oats called for in this recipe, or would rolled oats work best? I would really enjoy making this for breakfast Saturday morning!

Thanks,
    Sarah

13. Ayla says:

Great recipe! I love that it’s soaked over night, I will have to add it to the weekly menu!

14. Carrie says:

That looks like a wonderful recipe! I am going to try it in the crockpot as well. Our family loves crockpot oatmeal!

Carrie @ http://www.OurFullHouse.com

15. Suzanne says:

Wow , that looks so moist. I bet it smells heavenly baking up:-) Does anyone like to knit? I have a sweet giveaway going on:-)

16. darla says:

yum! i will have to try this…and i’m loving your site, i am a newbie. :)

17. Gabe says:

Mmmm…. A friend served this to us this week-end when we were staying with them. It was great! I had to look up the recipe (she said she used yours) so I could make it for my family!

Thank you!