January 26, 2010 by Stacy McDonald

Just Stop it!

For anyone who is tired of the psycho-babble that is so part of our culture today, you’ll love this video. Everyone should watch it at least once…

The funny part is that he says everything we want to say, but don’t. I loved it when she tried to blame her mother for the fact that she over eats, and Newhart said, “Oh no, no, no…we don’t go there.” And then when she argues by telling him what her horoscope says, he said, “No, we definitely don’t go there!”

The sad part is that we can’t “stop it.” At least, not on our own. And too many of us, rather than repent and turn to Jesus with our sin, try to simply “stop it” in our own strength, which doesn’t work.

“So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.” (Romans 7:21-25, ESV)

“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1-4, ESV)

“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:37-39, ESV)

8 Responses to “Just Stop it!”

1. Courtney (Women Living Well) says:

That was funny! I remember feeling like I was living in Romans 7 – being clobbered by my own self – and then I read a book by Amy Carmichael and she said after Romans 7 comes Romans 8. Verse 37 says "In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us."

We can either dwell in Romans 7 – defeated – or live as a Romans 8:37 Christian – as a conqueror!

I choose Romans 8! Thanks for the reminder tonight!
    Courtney

2. Patty says:

We love this clip as well. Our kids did it for a skit one year for the whole extended family. Lots of fun.

3. Stephanie Clark says:

It's definitely a trend (that's supported by modern psychology) to blame your problems on someone else. Obviously there are a lot of sensitive issues out there, but in the end, you–and only you–are responsible for your actions. As my mom told me over and over growing up when I would blame my little brother for the way I reacted, saying, "He made me do it," she would say, "He can't *make* you do anything. You're the only person that can control you."

People have figured out that they can't stop doing things or move past things on their own, but instead of relying on the grace and strength of the Lord they turn to modern "medicine" to do it for them.

Thanks for posting this–funny way to start the day. :)

4. Persuaded says:

Oh I love Bob Newhart! He reminds me so much of my father… and I must say my dear old dad had the pretty much same approach towards excuses as well;)

5. Chelsey says:

I love this clip! Thanks for sharing!

6. Victoria says:

We had a dear pastor years ago who had been a US Marine drill sergeant. He loved us enough to get to the point in counseling. He would ask… Have you been in the Word (reading it, studying it)? Have you been talking with Him every day?.. If the answer to either was no or sometimes then he would say… Well there is your answer! :) Loved Pastor Romaine… he went home to be with Jesus several years ago.

7. Kara says:

Video was funny. Had both me and my husband rolling. :)

Isnt it interesting that our society blames everything on everyone else. It's not your fault, it's the fault of your husband, kids, mom, dad, dog, cat, circumstances, etc. When accepting that we are sinners in need of a savior is the very thing that we need to be saved. But so many people want to do good works, and pass the blame for the bad, and try to work their way to heaven instead of accepted God's grace.

8. Scrapping Servant says:

Thank you for posting this. I found it from a friend on FaceBook who posted a link to it. It was perfect for me to hear today and I am in a way re-posting it on my blog to share on my walk.

Again, thank you… you have been used and considered faithful.