January 25, 2010 by Stacy McDonald

A Couple of "Interesting" Feminist Quotes…

While I am very glad that some of the early feminists were pro-life, they sure did have some wacky ideas about personal responsibility. It seems we can’t sin without blaming it on somebody.

“When a man steals to satisfy hunger, we may safely conclude that there is something wrong in society – so when a woman destroys the life of her unborn child, it is an evidence that either by education or circumstances she has been greatly wronged.” Mattie Brinkerhoff, The Revolution, September 2, 1869

“Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, and an idle person will suffer hunger.” (Proverbs 19:15)

Scripture teaches that hunger is often brought on by laziness. We see this at times when men who refuse to work demand financial support from those who do. As Christians, we must learn to respond to human suffering out of love for our God and compassion for our neighbor; but, we cannot automatically assume, or “safely conclude,” that a man’s hunger is the fault of society.

Likewise, when a woman chooses to abort her child, she cannot blame others for her sin (though some may indeed have blood on their hands), and the remedy for her sin is not found in giving her an education or raising her circumstances (social status or income). The only remedy for sin is the Gospel. Minimizing sin only hinders repentance. We must love her enough to help her to see her need for a Savior; and for that to happen she must be allowed to honestly face her sin. Repentance and forgiveness is a sweet gift that is denied to the one who continues to blame others.

Here’s another amazing feminist quote:

“There must be a remedy even for such a crying evil as this (abortion). But where shall it be found, at least where begin, if not in the complete enfranchisement and elevation of women?” – Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1868

There is a perfect remedy: the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Stanton’s way didn’t work.

28 Responses to “A Couple of "Interesting" Feminist Quotes…”

1. Mrs. Webfoot says:

"The only remedy for sin is the Gospel. Minimizing her sin only hinders her repentance."

This is so very true. That is one of the things that ought to make all Christians reject feminism outright. Feminism enables women to hide their sins behind the sins of others. It does not encourage women to take responsibility for their own actions and confess their own sins so that they can be cleansed.

Feminism is Eve blaming the Serpent for his having deceived her.

Yes, Donna. And this is a popular thing to do today. We blame alcoholism on a "sickness," murder on "mental illness," sodomy on…I don't know, what do we blame sodomy on? I don't think you have to blame it on anything anymore because it's been normalized.

And everything else is blamed on your childhood. But someone in your child hood then has to be blamed, don't they? Who do they get to blame?

That's the thing. there are those who say there is no such thing as sin. I wonder if they'd think so if someone punched them in the nose.

"This is the way of an adulteress: she eats and wipes her mouth and says, “I have done no wrong.”" (Proverbs 30:20, ESV)

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes…" (Proverbs 12:15, ESV)

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death." (Proverbs 14:12, ESV)

3. Mrs. Webfoot says:

The natural man or woman looks for someone to blame or for someone to share the blame with. Somehow it makes our own guilt seem less when we share it with others. In our pride, we tend to refuse God's sincere offer of salvation, preferring to hew out our own cisterns as the prophet said. We Christians need to take special care in not falling into this error ourselves.

Jeremiah 2:13
    For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Not to belabor the point, but feminism does not hold water.

Feminism is just one of those broken cisterns. There are many.

We need to ask the Holy Spirit to search us, to break us, to bring us to true repentance, and then to enable us to walk in the everlasting way.

Psalm 139:
    23Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts!
    24And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!

Psalm 51

14Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
    O God of my salvation,
    and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.

17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

Isaiah 55
    The Compassion of the LORD

1 "Come, everyone who thirsts,
    come to the waters;
    and he who has no money,
    come, buy and eat!
    Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without price.
    2 Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
    Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
    3Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;
    and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.

4. Thursday's Child says:

Stanton, Anthony, and others worked long and hard to get women the vote. It is a right that ALL people have and it shouldn't be denied to any citizen, regardless of gender or anything else.

However, we women need to be responsible in how we use that right. If laws are passed that allow for abortion (or any other sin) to be made legal, we women need to use our right to vote to fight them. We need to use our votes to vote out those who would allow the murder of millions of babies each year.

Unfortunately there are women who honestly believe that it's acceptable to murder their children for convenience and will vote to keep that so-called right.

God have mercy on their souls.

Clearly, that first feminist quote was NOT from a pro-life woman. Ech, to both of them; sounds like a misogynist I know who claimed a divorced man who murdered his son and himself wouldn't have done so if he'd only been given custody more often (he was laying the blame entirely on feminists and the court).

"Feminism is Eve blaming the Serpent for his having deceived her."

I wouldn't go that far; that's a human thing, male and female. Eve did try to avert blame, but at least she knew it was Satan at root; Adam inadvertently blamed God. The Bible's amazingly full of sin and humanity in all levels.

Thursday's Child, that's so true! Wonderfully said.

"sodomy on…I don't know, what do we blame sodomy on?"

I think some find that acceptable now, so they don't bother to put blame in it anywhere. If you said that in public, Stacy, you'd probably be called a homophobic or something. I hate sodomy whether it's homosexual or between a man and woman; married people can do what they want, of course, but it's very obviously done to pleasure the male only; most women hate it.

Jennifer,

Mattie Brinkerhoff is listed as a pro-life feminist on the Feminists for Life website. That's where I got the quote.

The first "blame game" was indeed played in the Garden. And men and women still play it equally well today. Even blaming Satan is a cop out. God didn't excuse Adam or Eve's sin because of the Serpent's deception. And He certainly won't excuse ours because of our many excuses (society, a bad childhood, "male oppression" etc.).

7. Civilla says:

No, Stanton's way didn't work, did it? The more educated women have become, the more abortions there are. Most abortions, I am told by a Puerto-Rican American friend who is a registered nurse, occur among the white middle-class. She said, "We Black and Puerto Rican women keep our babies. The white middle-class women are the ones having the abortions…but Planned Parenthood keeps putting their clinics in OUR neighborhoods, hoping….!"

8. Civilla says:

I know that Jesus said, "Temptations must come, but woe to him through whom temptation comes." Tempters who tempt others to evil will receive greater punishment, because they are leaders or teachers (sometimes leaders and teachers of evil), so they will get greater punishment; however, WE chose to follow them, so we too must take ownership of our own sin.

In the Creation account, ALL THREE were punished: the woman, the man, and the Tempter (the serpent). God didn't like Adam and Eve's blaming attitude, but he didn't let the tempter go free, either. We should all take heed.

Jennifer, I agree with what you said about the s*d*my.

9. Persuaded says:

Hello.. it's me, Diane the persnickety-history-buff-commenter come back to annoy you;) It is my understanding that most of the earliest feminists were prolife, and that they saw abortion as an evil done to women by men. An act of oppression as it were. the idea that women would willfully abort their own children was unthinkable to them for the most part. I wonder what they would think if they moved forward in time and saw "how far we have come." Women fighting for the right to choose abortion, instead of fighting for freedom from it.

The most heinously sinful actions begin as a thought, a simple thought. And all of the harm that feminism has wrought began with these women going their own way and doing what they thought was good instead of what God says is good. I am reminded of James 1:14 (I think) Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin and sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death.

As for an excuse for sodomy… those who wish to condone it, simply insist that it is not sin and therefore there is no need to excuse it. They insist that people are created this way, and that they have no choice in their behavior. They say that it is only a "different kind of love" and how can there be anything wrong with people loving each other? to that I say: Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness. Isaiah 5:20

Yes, Civilla. In fact, if one of my children entices a younger child into sinning, the older child receives the greater discipline. The one who tempts another to sin has motives to do evil. Many times, the one who is tempted is caught off guard (not an excuse, but a fact).

Two of the seven things that God hates:

"A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil…" (Proverbs 6:18)

If we lead others into sin, we will be held accountable. And leading them away from the Truth is another way of leading them into sin:

" And he said to his disciples, “Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin." (Luke 17:1-2, ESV)

Those who are teaching that sin isn't really sin, and, in so doing, hindering tender souls from repenting, best beware.

Hi Persuaded,

You are never annoying; I love it when you visit!!

You said:

"It is my understanding that most of the earliest feminists were prolife, and that they saw abortion as an evil done to women by men."

Exactly. That is what the quotes demonstrate. They thought abortion was horrible, but they assumed women would only do such a thing if a man (or society) pushed her to it.

Instead of seeing true Christianity/the Gospel as the answer, they thought social change was the answer – their version of social change ("the complete enfranchisement and elevation of women.").

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:9, ESV)

12. Kara says:

I never realized that there were pro-life feminists at all. It is very sad that the slippery slope they started on has come so far as to no long protect innocent live, but to destroy it.

13. a humble servant says:

Women and the RIGHT to vote?
    I am wondering about something.
    Is it not true that if a woman votes for candidate A and her hubby votes for candidate B then their votes cancel eachother out?
    I can personally SEE why initially the vote only went to land owners (the heads of those lands, men) b/c their say mattered most in terms of the kinds of laws that the elected officials would possibly impose.
    I am sure there were abuses to these situations (as always with sinful humans) but I am curious why it is so important that women vote? Ideally, there would not be women who were not in a man's (land owner's) home.
    Just curious what the ones who are always bringing up women's rights to vote would say?
    And we usually agree with him thanks to familial harmony/similar views.
    Anyway…….i realize there are tons of exceptions now due to divorce etc. but I am curious what is the 'most excellent way'? according to God?
    Thanks.
    Mrs. RBC

14. Mrs. Webfoot says:

"Feminism is Eve blaming the Serpent for his having deceived her."

I wouldn't go that far; that's a human thing, male and female. >>>>

It is a distinctly feminine "thing" for women to tend to blame men for all their woes. Feminists pick up on this discontent and promise women liberation from the oppressors.

Feminism gives a voice to Eve who wished to blame someone else – in her case, Satan – instead of accepting responsibility for her own actions. In almost all its forms, feminism is the repository of Eve's rebellion.

You don't need to go there with me, but that's where I am.

You know, John MacArthur did a sermon on feminism that used to just make me mad. His conclusion was that Eve was the first feminist. I used to mock him for that.

I don't anymore.

Again, Jennifer, you are free to disagree, and I respect your views. You are a thoughtful woman.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my remarks. I appreciate that.

One more thing. Maybe one could make that case that misogyny is the way that men manifest their rebellion against God – "the woman you gave to be with me"!

Rebellion and blaming others is a very human activity, but there tend to be some gender-specific ways that work out in real life. Even in our sin, we are not exactly the same. Equality does not mean "same", except in mathematics.

God bless,
    Mrs. Webfoot

15. proud2Bmomma says:

Thank you for your common sense posts. Its so refreshing.

"Mattie Brinkerhoff is listed as a pro-life feminist on the Feminists for Life website. That's where I got the quote"

Truly? Weird.

"It is a distinctly feminine "thing" for women to tend to blame men for all their woes"

Eve didn't blame the man, she blamed the serpent. I do think MacAurthur's wrong; Eve didn't blame a human at all. Thanks for your nice words.

"The women in our home all vote but only according to how our head here wants us to vote."

Then what's the point of voting? Women are meant to support their husbands and not belittle or war against them, but this doesn't mean she becomes his trailer, so to speak, always echoing his views simply because they're his. This is especially true for daughters, who are not meant to be one with their father or extensions of him. It is important to have harmony in a household, but women should vote because they're convicted who they're voting for is the best choice, not because they heard it secondhand from one they believe dictates their vote.

"I am curious why it is so important that women vote?"

The same reason it's important that men vote: we're people, intelligent citizens who have a say in our country. We now own homes as well and are educated in politics, at least if we choose to be.

17. a humble servant says:

Hi Jennifer,
    I am sorry.
    I did not at all mean to say that I did I choose to be educated in politics. I (and my four daughters at home) choose to be VERY educated in politics!
    Even though I understand some of your human based logic about being 'fair' to women, I still think that the Biblical model was for women to be ultimately included/protected/cared for by men (fathers /husbands) as the norm. I realize there are , as I said, exceptions. (usually due to sin/divorce) I was just curious what the Biblical response would be for those who call themselves Christians and use/see the Bible as our ultimate source of wisdom/instruction.
    I realize it is tricky with 'voting' because it is a more modern convention but I guess there are still some applications from the Old Testament that might relate to the topic, no?
    In the Israelite camp in the wilderness they were always counting men, not the women and children. But that was mostly for fighting, I suppose.
    Any other thoughts from anyone else?
    Good discussion.
    Blessings!
    Mrs. RBC

No need to apologize at all, servant; I just meant we can be educated now, unlike in the past.

"I still think that the Biblical model was for women to be ultimately included/protected/cared for by men (fathers /husbands) as the norm."

Sure. I just think this is about physical protection, not being made to echo the thoughts of the men.

19. Mrs. Webfoot says:

Jennifer:
    Eve didn't blame the man, she blamed the serpent.>>>

The problem is the blaming and making making excuses. It doesn't really matter who is being blamed.

My point is that feminism teaches women to blame men and patriarchy for all of their problems.

Feminism tends to teach women that abortion is something that men do to women – or force them into.

Feminism tends to teach women that divorce is something that women are forced into because they can no longer tolerate the abuse.

Even when a woman murders her husband or boyfriend, it is said by feminists that she was acting in self defense. After all, she was being abused.

Even when a woman murders her children, it is said that her husband forced her to have children in the first place or that she had hormonal imbalances.

Feminism makes a very poor fig leaf for Eve. God still sees her hiding in the garden and does not share the same theology, anthropology, or demonology as she does.

Jennifer:
    I do think MacAurthur's wrong; Eve didn't blame a human at all.>>>>

Eve was deceived, rebellious, sinful, and she knew it. That is why she hid, as women today do behind feminism. The "I was deceived" defense didn't fly with the righteous Judge.

Jennifer:
    Thanks for your nice words.>>>

Thank you. Take care, okay. You do not have to agree with me. It's just the way I see it.

There are many other "fig leaves" that people hide behind. God sees us and wants us to come out and "fess up" to who we are and what we have done so He can reveal the solution to us in Jesus Christ.
    There is hope and salvation, but the way to enter is through the door of repentance as far as sin is concerned – our own sin – and faith in Christ.

I have run into men who hate women and blame them for all the world's evils. That is at least just as sinful.

The topic at hand, though, is the nature of feminism – not even egalitarianism. I think it safe to say that Dorothy L. Sayers was more of an egalitarian in many ways, but she was adamant about women taking responsibility for their own actions and their own sins and mistakes.

No, I am not an egalitarian. I won't get "contaminated" by liking those egalitarians who understand that women are responsible for their own actions.

I hope that you understand what I am driving at. Maybe you don't see feminism that way, and I respect that.

FWIW, I used to see it differently.

Hey, take care, okay?

God bless,
    Mrs. Webfoot

"It doesn't really matter who is being blamed"

Actually, it does: Adam blamed his spouse and God. Eve blamed the being responsible. She WAS deceived, and her sin was lesser because of it. Of course she didn't get let off, she was wrong, but she was less guilty than Adam, who knew what he was doing and is not recorded as showing any resistance at all. This is why the fall of mankind is credited as happening through Adam and not Eve (and yes, I know some claim it was credited through Adam because he was "head of the human race". I don't buy that).

"I won't get "contaminated" by liking those egalitarians who understand that women are responsible for their own actions"

I'll assume you don't mean something insulting there.

21. Mrs. Webfoot says:

Jennifer, I am sure that you take responsibility for your own actions and encourage other women to do the same.

Hey, take care, okay?

Love,
    Mrs. Webfoot

22. Chelsey says:

Stacy, great post as usually!

Mrs. RBC, you've thrown out some great thoughts and things to ponder. I am right there with you on the voting. I make a point to be very politically informed. We have wonderful discussions and sometimes even debates. But, in the end I do vote according to my husband. Not because my husband "makes" me or demands it of me, but, because he is the head of our home and I submit to him in all things.

Some food for thought… we have gotten so wraped up in our RIGHTS. We have a RIGHT to do this, we have a RIGHT to do to that. Honestly… that is such a worldy view. The only "right" we have is that we all go to Hell! It's the only thing we truly deserve. Thankfully, oh so thankfully, I was spared and granted the PRIVELEDGE of heaven because of the blood of Christ on the cross.

I think sometimes this is the root of our problematic thinking, and think it is certainly the problematic view of Feminists!

Mrs. Webfoot – I thought you had some incredible thoughts and wisdom and great Scriptural Truths! Blame is such an ugly game and Eve gave us the direct insight to it. Prayerfully we can learn from that. Unfortunately, as you mentioned Stacy, it is prevelant all around us.

Stacy you said, "If we lead others into sin, we will be held accountable. And leading them away from the Truth is another way of leading them into sin".

Yes! And this is SO convicting. That is why one of my most prevelant prayers has been that God would show me. As I get more gray in my hair, and I strive to live in Titus 2 fasion, I must be so carefully that I point others to the Truth and not lead them away with my own "perceptions", or twisting Scriputre to try and make it fit what I want it to say.

Thanks for that reminder Stacy. I think you mentioned in a past post regarding feminism, that is why we have to be so careful who we follow and look up to!

Thanks Mrs. Webfoot, you too.

24. Mrs. Webfoot says:

Chelsey:
    Mrs. Webfoot – I thought you had some incredible thoughts and wisdom and great Scriptural Truths! Blame is such an ugly game and Eve gave us the direct insight to it.>>>>

I hope so, Chelsey.

I think that Eve's example shows us many things. One being that sinning because we have listened to lies and acted on them is no excuse.

We have the tendency to excuse what we should not excuse.

It is easy to see why Adam was condemned because he sinned with his eyes wide open, as it were. He knew what he was doing, was not deceived, and he did it anyway. He was an obvious rebel.

In Eve's case it is a bit different. She was taken in by a smooth-talking serpent. Surely her sin was not rebellion? Can't she be excused for what she did?

However, in God's economy, her sin was just as surely the act of a rebel as was Adam's.

Of course, I accept that Adam is the head of the human race and that is why we fall in Adam.

Be that as it may, the sentence of death came on both Adam AND Eve – and that equally. The unregenerate human heart is the same in both male and female.

The Savior from sin, condemnation, and death is the same One, too.

In that area I am egalitarian – equal sin, equal condemnation, equal death, equal salvation in Christ. There is no difference made between male and female in these areas that I can see.

Each one rebelled in their own way, but each one became a rebel.

No, I am not an egalitarian as some understand that term. I am Complementarian.

Genesis 8:21 (Today's New International Version)
    21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: "Never again will I curse the ground because of human beings, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.

Genesis 8:21 (English Standard Version)
    21And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done.

25. Chelsey says:

Mrs Webfoot – AWESOME and Amen!!! I think that too is where Christians get so confused. We are all equal in God's eyes as you said, "equal sin, equal condemnation, equal death, equal salvation in Christ."

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus"
    (Gal 3:26)

Yes!! "For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive" (1 Corin. 15:22)

26. Mrs. Webfoot says:

Chelsey:
    There IS however a very distinct authority structure … women being under the authority of man, man under the authoity of Christ, Christ under the authority of the Father. Unfortunately, many modern Christians don't recongnize that.>>>>

I agree with you. It all depends on the meaning of "kephale."

Even so, Jesus defines what male authority is supposed to look like. Biblical male headship never looks like a man beating his wife or threatening her or even treating her harshly.

Biblical male headship involves the husband protecting his wife from those who would do her harm either physically or spiritually.

Sure, a wife also protects her husband, but as his crowning glory, the love of his life, the wind beneath his wings, – his suitable helper. Sometimes that involves protecting him from other women who do not respect the marital rights a wife has over her husband – and that no other woman should even dare to try to interfere with without some pretty serious opposition!

Feminism in most of its secular forms, as it has developed, would turn all of that on its head.

Indeed, Adam's sin was more deliberate and thus we met our fall primarily through him. I'm glad there's a clear alternative to spiritual hierarchy.

28. Susan says:

Mrs. RBC's remarks remind us of a long-lost equity. Even now, it would make more sense to give the vote only to property owners — good stewards– people with a stake. It is sad that somewhere along the way, this was lost, probably due to someone wanting more votes the easy way – buying them, and needing more voters who would "sell".