December 17, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Reflections on A Christmas Carol…

We watched “A Christmas Carol” (Patrick Stewart version) with some of the older children last night. One of the most moving parts to me is the scene where the “Spirit of Christmas Present” takes Scrooge on a whirlwind visit to see all the people simultaneously singing “Silent Night” in various parts of the world…in prison, on a ship in the middle of the ocean (where they sang in a different language), in a lighthouse amidst a snow storm etc.

It was powerful to hear “Christ the Savior is Born” sang across the globe – sometimes by people who likely don’t even know Him. How can we as Christians squelch His name being praised by arguing over whether or not we should celebrate Christmas?

When Scrooge awakes Christmas morning to discover he is still alive and has been given another chance to live a life for good this time, it made me think of the day I was born again. Though Scrooge could hardly contain his joy because he had been spared “hell on earth” and given a chance to “keep Christmas” in his heart “all the year,” all I could think was, “Praise Jesus, man! Call on His name or this is just a fleeting, temporary reprieve. Your hell is yet to come!”

While Dickens doesn’t get past the “good works” mentality, he surely depicts well the misery of living a joyless, selfish life – and one man’s garden of regrets. Many good things to ponder in this classic. But what I come away with most of all is what a wonderful opportunity we have during the Christmas season to point those around us to Christ and to share with family and friends the loveliness of Christian living. God bless us, every one.

6 Responses to “Reflections on A Christmas Carol…”

1. Elizabeth says:

That version of A Christmas Carol is by far my favorite! I appreciate your thoughts.

2. Farrah says:

You are right that now is the time to help people find Jesus Christ. My husband's ex came to church with us last Sunday and I hope that with us talking more with her about developing a relationship with Jesus Christ during his birthday celebration that she will devote her life to Christ. Thank you for sharing your perspective! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

3. Sarah says:

I agree with Farrah, that Christmas time is an ideal time to help lead others to a life dedicated to serving Christ. Our family also enjoy watching this movie at Christmas and that particular version is my favourite too! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas from the O'Neill family in Ireland!

4. Sherrin says:

I must put this on my "to watch" list! We loved watching Little Lord Fauntleroy last week (I've reviewed it here http://homebasededucation.blogspot.com/2009/12/little-lord-fauntleroy-dvd.html). It is also a great movie to watch at Christmas time, but is also "good works" focused. We need Jesus to transform us – being nice to people won't do it!

5. Thursday's Child says:

Here in Lebanon there are no conversations about whether or not to edit Christmas in any way. At the kids' school they do Christmas and mothers in hijab cheer on their kids singing Christmas carols with the rest of the group in the program. We westerners are too silly.

6. Ford Family says:

Well said, Mrs. McDonald.