December 2, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Southwest Quinoa Salad

Note: This recipe was updated 6/11/11.

This is one of our family’s favorite lunches. It’s easy, it doesn’t need to be heated, and it’s nutritious. It’s a particularly good protein snack for pregnant or nursing moms! Serve with a few tortilla chips and enjoy!

– 3 cans of cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (4 ½ cups)
– 3-4 C. cooked white or red quinoa (equals 1 cup uncooked)
– ½ diced English cucumber (unpeeled)
– ½ C. diced red onion
– 1 large bundle cilantro, chopped
– 2 diced multi-colored bell pepper (red, orange, and yellow is good)
– 1 C. grape tomatoes, cut in half
– 8 oz. fresh or frozen corn
– 1 C. Diced sharp cheddar cheese or Pepper jack cheese (optional)
– 2 Diced avocados (optional)

Dressing:
– ¾ C. olive oil
– ¾ C. fresh squeezed lime juice
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 tsp. beau monde seasoning (or ground celery seed)
– 1 tsp. chili powder
– 1 tsp. cumin
– 2 tsp. garlic powder (or to taste)
– Salt and ground pepper to taste

Mix dressing together with a whisk. Combine remaining ingredients (except tomatoes and avocado) and mix with dressing. Allow to marinate for 1-2 hours. Just before serving, add tomatoes and avocado. Toss well. Serve with tortilla chips or in a tostada bowl. (Serves 9)

Note on cooking quinoa: Soak quinoa for 15 minutes in hot water. Drain and rinse well while moving fingers through quinoa to remove the saponin, the protective, bitter outer layer. Add 1 C. water to every 1 C. quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool. If you’re in a hurry, rinse with cool water before adding to salad. Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!

If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my Italian Black Bean Salad!

11 Responses to “Southwest Quinoa Salad”

1. Emily says:

Sounds yummy! I can't wait to try it! :)

2. Mrs.Rabe says:

That sounds really good, Stacy!

I may have to make that soon!

3. Fruitful Vine2 says:

Looks great! I will put this on my to try list.

4. Leanne says:

I'm nursing and looking for protein snacks that are also a bit high calorie to meet my calorie needs.

This looks very colorful and I love the flavors!

I'll try this soon!

5. sarah says:

that looks both healthy and delicious.

6. Tonya says:

That looks SO good!

7. Lacey says:

do you think this would freeze well, our family (so far) is smallish, and my daughters wouldn’t eat the beans anyway, so that leaves just me really, and maybe my husband…and this would work well if we could freeze smaller portions.

Thanks!

I wouldn’t think so. It’s supposed to be a “salad,” so everything should be fresh and a bit crunchy. Freezing it may make it sloshy.

9. Lacey says:

ok, thanks! I’ll wait to prepare this when we have company who can enjoy it with us! I didn’t notice the tomatoes in the recipe- those would not thaw well for a salad texture for sure! lol

10. […] Breakfast grain-free granola (made with coconut oil, not butter) with almond or coconut milk Lunch southwest quinoa salad Snack peanut butter “spoon candy” – mix approx. equal parts peanut butter, and […]