November 6, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Over the Years…

With an extra special hug to Mimi and Papa
and Grandma Betty and Grandpa David…

Scroll all the way to the bottom to find our yummy recipe for

Homemade (Cooked) Egg Nog!

McDonald Maidens Christmas Morning 1999

Jessica, Abigail, and Melissa (Galveston – Dickens on the Strand 1999)

Caroling for the Grandparents (Christmas 1999)

Abigail (Texas 2000)

Jessica and Abigail (Texas 2001) Tiffany delivering goodies (in costume) to the neighbors (Texas 2001) Mommy (pregnant with Emma), Virginia Grace, and Abigail (2002)
Grace and Emma (Texas 2002) Papa and Caleb (Texas 2002)

Shayne, James, Micah, and Caleb (Texas 2003)

Christa, Dielle, Stacy, Tiffany, Faydra (Texas 2003)

Christa (Texas 2005) Baking Cookies with Mommy (Illinois 2006) The bow tie club! (Illinois 2006)Christa and Daniel with Grandma

and Grandpa Steffan and Mimi and Papa
Daddy Helpin’ in the Kitchen (Illinois 2007)

Tiffany and Melissa (Illinois 2007)

Tiffany (Illinois 2007)

Caleb helping with Dinner (Illinois 2007)

Homemade (Cooked) Egg Nog

-6 egg yolks (do not use whole egg)

-1/4 cup sugar

-1/4 tsp salt

-1 quart milk

-1 tsp vanilla

-1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)

-1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)

PREPARATION: Beat eggs, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the milk. Cook mixture over a double boiler whisking occasionally. When it is fairly thick and thinly coats a spoon, remove from heat. Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

9 Responses to “Over the Years…”

1. Mrs. Sewell (Professional Wife and SAHM) says:

Mrs. McDonald,

Great pictures of your family during the holidays!

God Bless
    Crystal <><

Christmas pics are my favorites: I always picture the cold Illinois morning and the nice mixture of warmth and light chill on Christmas, with the girls in their cozy nightgowns.

3. Adrienne says:

I loved all the pictures. makes me want to get out my scrap books. With my oldest two getting on in years and looking forward to having their own families, I find myself sad that my nest is getting smaller. I still have 4 little ones at home but know that the time will fly by. I am still praying that the Lord would bless us with another baby but it is looking more and more like that is not in His plans. Question- How did you deal with no more babies coming and knowing that the little ones would be growing up fast and moving on too. I find myself at times, getting sad over this and the fact that my nest will eventually be empty. I know grandchildren are on the horizon but my days as mommmy are almost over.

Blessings,
    Mommy of 6

4. Suzanne says:

I love Christmas pics too:-) And thank you for the egg nog receipt–I have always wanted to make it homemade.

5. msv says:

I can't believe I was included in your "Over the years" post. However, I'm not sure the photo does justice to the many pleasant visits I made to your home in Houston. That may have been the only time I ever attempted to help in the kitchen. I hope you and your family are doing well.

6. Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe says:

I like the idea of cooked egg nog. Many of the recipes I see are for egg nog made with uncooked eggs, and I don't like the idea.

Hi, Micah! Your presence in our home will be forever included in our album of "family memories!" :-)

Do you remember the morning Virginia Grace (2 yo at the time) woke you early in the morning with a rousing, "Good morning, sleeping beauty!"?

I hear you are now enjoying God and glorifying Him as a husband and father! Praise the Lord! May you be richly blessed for generations to come.

8. keepingitonthedownlow says:

I think I'll give your egg nog recipe a try. I don't typically like eggnog,but I am like a child and like things better if I had a hand in making it. Great pics too

9. Patty says:

Oh how utterly blessed you are to have such a house full! I grew up as one of eight, and my husband and I planned on having lots of kids, but God has so far had other plans for us. We have only two blessings, by adoption, and as completely grateful as I am for them, I feel as though I am missing children. I am trying to be content with two, but I pray God will bless us with more, in whatever way he sees best, whether by birth, or adoption, or by someone needing a place to call home even for just awhile. God bless you as you raise your bunch in the admonition of the Lord.