October 29, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

God’s Jewels

“When He cometh, when He cometh
To take up his jewels
All his jewels, precious jewels
His Loved and His own.

Like the stars of the morning
His bright crown adorning
They will shine in their beauty
Bright gems for his crown.”

– William O. Kushing

This past Tuesday evening, the ladies of our church gathered together to watch and discuss a powerful presentation by Joni Eareckson Tada. In it, Joni shares how important it is to view our trials and sufferings as gifts from our sovereign God – gifts that He uses to mold us and shape us more into His image – gifts that help to burn away the impurities (sin) that plague our flesh. She doesn’t minimize how difficult (and painful) that is, but she helps us to view suffering biblically.

It is very freeing and inspiring to know that God doesn’t waste our pain. Whatever trial you are going through, you can be assured that it is for your ultimate good and His glory. When we press into the pain, rather than run from it in despair, we grow – we move forward.

This makes me think of child birth. During labor, when it comes time to push that baby out, I typically decide I’m too tired. :-) But avoiding the pushing doesn’t mean I am actually able to avoid the pain, or the trial. It just means that I prolong it. It also creates a very unproductive type of pain. I can still hear my midwife insisting, “Push! Don’t waste the pain!” What a good truth to remember!

So whatever trial you’re facing today, remember, “Don’t waste the pain.” Press in. Move forward. Put your faith in Christ and rely on HIS strength to carry you through. Ask Him to use this trial to burn away the dross, to polish and mold you so that you are more fit for Heaven than before – a bright and shining jewel for His crown.

The Lord their God will save them in that day, as the flock of His people. For they shall be like the jewels of a crown, lifted like a banner over His land… (Zechariah 9:16, NKJV)

CLICK HERE to watch Joni’s presentation.

13 Responses to “God’s Jewels”

1. MommaMindy says:

Thank you for sharing, sister. I have found I don't regret the suffering I've gone through in the past five years because I've learned the Lord's perspective on it. What a wonderful God we have to provide a Savior for our souls, the Spirit as our Comforter and the Scriptures to speak to us in all these things.

2. LivingByDailyGrace says:

This is exactly what I needed today. Thank you. Karen

3. Manda says:

I don't think Alison Krauss wrote that hymn. We used to sing it as children out of our hymnal. :)

Hi Manda. You're right – William Kushing is the hymn writer. I have no idea who Alison Krauss is, so that's why I didn't notice. LOL

5. Tonya says:

Thanks Stacy. Good reminder.

6. Meggan says:

Thanks for this. It helped put things into proper perspective today.

Consider it joy when troubles come, many trials will make you strong.

7. Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife says:

I love your child birth analogy. "Don't waste the pain", I'll remember that!

8. nikki101076 says:

Good blog! I was just talking the other day about this subject to my oldest daughter, who is 15. People always say God will never give you more than you can handle but yes He does b/c He wants you to be able to rely on Him through the tough times and be able to find joy in the pain and sorrows. So this blog fits in w/what I was talking about. Thanks!

9. Saint Shellie says:

Wow! Love this post. I need to remember this when I'm going through my trials. "Don't waste the pain!"
    Blessings, Saint Shellie

10. Leanne says:

One of my favorite hymns of all time.

A really needed reminder.

I'm holding on to the knowledge that God hears, He cares, and His ways are perfect!

Thanks.

11. mosey says:

I thank you for posting this… I know I treasure the times when I am walking through trials.. I do consider it pure joy, but even still in the midst of grief and pain this has been a beautiful encouragement and reminder to me to keep on trusting the Lord. This is all worth precious gems.

~consider it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds, for the testing of your faith develops perseverance and perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything. James 1

"People always say God will never give you more than you can handle but yes He does"

It's true we can't really handle anything devastating without God, but I think when people say that they mean God doesn't give them more than they can bear to LIVE through.

13. Julie says:

When He Cometh was a staple K4/K5 Bible song when I was a student teacher at PCC oh so long ago. Haven't thought about it in awhile.

Little children
    Little children
    Who love their Redeemer
    Are the pure ones
    And the bright ones
    His loved and His own.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I can still hear the little voices singing in my head. Now they are adults.