August 13, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Time Robbers

How many times have you said to yourself, “There are just not enough minutes in the day to do all that I need to do!” Is this true? Would God give us certain things to accomplish and then not be gracious enough to give us enough time to do it?

In our ladies class at church we’ve been discussing how often this lie of the enemy causes us to feel defeated and overwhelmed. We discovered in our study that, often, the reason we don’t have the “time” to do what needs to be done is because we’re too busy doing things He hasn’t called us to do – at least, not right now. We’re robbing ourselves (and God) of time that should be spent doing what we know for a fact He has called us to do! Let’s talk about how a “good thing” can become a “bad thing” when God has called us to do something else.

Imagine leaving your older child to care for a younger sibling while you run some errands; however, when you come home you find your little one playing in the front yard in his pajamas and your older child inside on the couch reading her Bible. Would it really matter if reading her Bible is a “good thing” or not? No, because she set aside a clear directive to do what she wanted to do. To obey is better than sacrifice.

And Samuel said, “Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry…” (1 Samuel 15:22-23, ESV)

How often do we moms do something similar? We set aside what we know God has called us to do, so that we can do some other “good” thing. If you’re a wife and mother there is absolutely no doubt that you are called to minister to your husband’s needs, train and nurture your children, and manage your home. Is there anything, even something “good,” that gets in the way of this?

Share one thing that steals your time most days – an activity that probably is not something God has called you to do – at least not to the degree that you’re doing it.

Also, please be sure to vote in the poll on the right side bar.

14 Responses to “Time Robbers”

1. The Wintons says:

Convicted. Thanks for sharing.

2. Adrienne says:

Lately, my hobbies. they are starting to become an idol. they are good things but taking the place of things that need to be done at home like training the younger ones in their chores and cooking meals. thank you for the reminder.
    Blessings,
    mommyofsix

3. Mrs. Sewell (Professional Wife and SAHM) says:

Hmmmm, Mrs. McDonald, this post has not only convicted me but challenged me.

I do spent time on the computer reading Christian articles and blogs (such as this) a little more than I should. There is so much to be done in a day within my house and before I know it, it's 4pm and my husband will be home in an hour and I am frantically scrambling to get supper prepared, the house picked up and the children calmed down.

I do well scheduling my day, but can't seem to get in the groove of doing it now that I have two little ones (3 and 13 months old).

Any suggestions?

Thanks for this post…I really needed it!

God Bless
    Mrs. Sewell <><

4. Sarah Mae says:

Computer time, hands down.

5. Heather @ CSAHM says:

I am so guilty of this! Totally changing some things, right now!

6. Anonymous says:

you forgot reading…. I have a whole stack of "how to be a homekeeper' books that keep me from homekeeping! Hm…
    ;)

7. Green Thumb Mama says:

I'm going to honestly admit that planning homeschool lessons can sometimes get in the way of what needs to be done. God has called me to homeschool our children and instruct them in the ways of the Lord, but if I spend so much time working and planning lessons and don't take time to finish the laundry, play with a child, or even start dinner, than my planning is getting excessive.

8. Bethany Hudson says:

I'm another computer gal. I try to be really good about it, but sometimes I realize I've been on longer than I thought. I've at least gotten myself down to only email and a handful of websites, rather than allowing myself to "web browse", but it's still something I need to work on. Thanks for convicting me, Stacey.

9. Kristi says:

I have a few things! One is the computer, though I think I've been doing better at prioritizing that time lately. What has taken its place though, is hobbies- sewing in particular. I love the idea of creating my own wardrobe- especially now that I've committed to wearing dresses only, it means a wardrobe change! I think I use it as an excuse way more often than is warranted. The funny thing is, sometimes I just don't know what to do with my kids. They are great at self-occupying (probably from practice) and I find myself bored because I don't know what to do. My kids are wonderful kids and I love them dearly, I just don't know what to do. Any advice? I know I'm missing out on the best years of their lives but I just don't know how to fix it!!!

10. Mary says:

Thank you for this post. I need it!

11. Anonymous says:

Thank you Sister Stacey for your " on time" post. Last night I lay in bed sorrowful for the time that I have let the internet has rob me of.
    Time with my husband in the evenings, on both our accounts. And time with my 5 children. We have no TV and only just got internet connection at our house a few months back for my husbands buisness. It is so fun to be connected to friends and also have shopping and info at my fingertips. It is a bad habit and I will have to fight to break it! Please pray for me, that God will give me the strengh.
    IN HIM,
    Janice E.

12. Ginger says:

I have time restrictions set up on our computer, and only my husband knows the password. I basically have enough time to check my email and a couple of blogs daily, but that's about it. And it was my online homeschool planner that was the problem! Since it was open all morning, I figured I could just check my email while I'm checking something off, or read a blog post while I'm sitting there. Serious time robber.
    I realized if I have to go back to paper and pencil planning in order to stop worshiping the computer idol, so be it. God is so good to not let us stay in our flesh. All glory to Him!

13. Mary says:

I too, stand convicted of spending too much time on the computer. When my husband leaves for work at 8:00 AM, I have already been up since 5:00 AM. I've taken a shower, had my Bible study and prayer, packed my husband's lunch and cooked his breakfast and he's eaten , had his shower and gotten dressed. After he leaves, I feel like it's time for me to have a "break"and I often sit down at the computer. My intent is to spend 15 min. or so and then start my housework. The time often extends far longer than I have intended and occasionally has gone on for (gulp :-( ) two hours.I know that spending that amount of time on the computer is not pleasing to the Lord and I now am trying hard to be more disciplined about my use of the computer.

I now set a timer for 30 minutes and make myself get up and move away from the computer when it rings and get to work on my housework at that point. Thanks for the reminder – I want the Lord to be able to say to me "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." I want to lay my head on my pillow at the end of a day and not feel ashamed before the Lord because I've wasted time that should have been put to good use caring for my home.
    Blessings,
    Mary (in PA)

14. Great-Granny Grandma says:

Good post. And very convicting too.