August 27, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Italian Black Bean Salad

This salad, accompanied by a nice loaf of crusty sour dough bread, makes a wonderfully easy make-ahead lunch that will last several days in the refrigerator. Or, if you’re gluten free like me, you might enjoy my friend, Tonya’s, yummy gluten free fococcia bread (recipe to come).

This salad is also a good high-protein snack for the busy pregnant or nursing mom; or an easy travel-friendly meal for a pot luck or car trip.

I also have a good recipe for a Mexican style black bean salad that is just as easy!

3 cups of cooked black beans
3-4 C. cooked red or white quinoa
¾ C. olive oil
¾ C. red wine or balsamic vinegar
1/2 C. chopped fresh basil
1 C. chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 red bell pepper (diced)
1 diced cucumber (peeled and seeded)
4 green onions, sliced
1 C. feta cheese, crumbled
1 C. grape tomatoes
1 T. Garlic powder (or to taste)
Salt and ground pepper to taste

Optional: pepperocinis, pitted kalamata olives, capers

Mix all ingredients (except tomatoes) and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours. Just before serving, add tomatoes. Toss well and serve.

Note on cooking quinoa: Soak quinoa for 15 minutes in hot water. Drain and rinse well while moving fingers through quinoa to remove the saponin, the protective, bitter outer layer. Add 1 C. water to every 1 C. quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool. If you’re in a hurry, rinse with cool water before adding to salad. Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!

13 Responses to “Italian Black Bean Salad”

1. Mrs. Sewell (Professional Wife and SAHM) says:

Mrs. McDonald, this sounds wonderful! I will definitely be making this soon!

Crystal <><

2. gloria says:

Stacy ~~
    This sounds fabulous! Thank you for sharin this recipe. We love black beans.

God bless,
    gloria
    <><

3. Amy says:

This sounds great….I'll be making it soon — I fall into the busy pregnant Mom category who is craving protein:-) Two questions: One: did you eat Feta cheese when you were pregnant? My DR has told me not to. And also, do you cook dried black beans or open a can of cooked black beans for best flavor?

Thanks.

Feta is high in sodium, so if you have issues with high blood pressure or swelling when you're pregnant, you may want to avoid the Feta. Not sure what the sodium content of Parmesan is, but if it's not bad you could substitute that.

I use dried beans when I remember to soak them the night before and canned beans when I forget. :-) Dried are cheaper. I can't tell a taste difference. If you use canned, remember to drain and rinse them first.

Yikes! I just realized I left out the fresh basil. PLEASE don't leave out the fresh basil! I edited the post to include it now, but just in case you copied it before – don't leave out the basil. Yum!

6. Miss Amy Smarty says:

Hi…I just started a blog and I've been reading yours for a while. Just wanted you to know I'm here :)

7. Vivianna says:

This salad sounds delicious… will copy and try it.

On forgetting to soak the beans the night before… you can actually put the beans in water (about 2" over beans) and let the water boil with the beans, then let rest for about 20 mins. rinse and drain. Now they should be ready to cook. The quickest way to cook beans is in a pressure cooker.

I am of cuban descent and my grandmother made beans 3-4 times a week. She taught me how to make them = )

Blessings,

8. Ginger says:

My lands! That sounds delicious! I'm really liking this new food side of you, Stacy! :D
    Way to encourage us homemakers to stay creative!

9. Miss Jen says:

YUM! :>)

10. Leanne says:

Sounds yummy!

I maintain a gluten free, dairy free diet, and this is something I can have! I don't eat milk or most cheeses at all, but sometimes I will allow myself things like feta or parmesan.

Thanks for posting this!

Leanne, we have a daughter allergic to wheat, so most of our recipes are gluten free. Though sometimes we just make her a separate (special) dish.

12. Anonymous says:

Thank you for posting these recipes. I'm looking forward to the Mexican black bean recipe, too. Also, could you post how you make your crusty sour dough bread? I enjoy your blog. It has been a blessing to me in many ways.

Blessings,
    Amy in AL

13. […] I haven’t tried this precise recipe). See topping suggestions for oatmeal, Day 1. Lunch Italian black bean salad  Snack carrot sticks dipped in guacamole (mash avocado with 1-2 minced garlic cloves, salt/pepper, […]