July 27, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Living and Speaking the Truth in Love

I received the following comment on my blog recently from a self proclaimed Christian feminist and it literally brought me to tears. Some interesting thoughts ran through my head as I cont- emplated her words. I recalled a post, Rusty Trumpets, from April, where I tried to share the importance of communicating the Truth in love. Katie’s comment confirmed for me, once again, the truth of Matthew 22:37-40 and I gave thanks to God:

Dear Stacy,

I think we are probably the exact opposite of each other in many ways. I am a feminist, a uber-leftist, and an academic.

But I am a Christian. I was raised in the Greek Orthodox Church and worship at an Episcopal Church (when I am home in the States. I attend a left-leaning Anglican church here in England). For a long time, I have felt so much anger toward more conservative Christians and the image they project of Christianity.

Reading your blog has almost completely evaporated that anger. Reading about your family, its joys and troubles, has humanized a whole group of people for me. It has made me truer to my own principles of inclusion.

Thank you. I truly believe that it is through relationship with one another and with Christ that we find Truth. Your blog has brought be closer to that truth.

With love in Christ,

Katie

As we live our lives to the glory of God, truly loving Him and honoring one another, His Truth is made manifest in us. Not because of us, or anything we happen to “do” or “know;” but, because of Him, and the Truth that resides in us.

I told my daughters recently: It doesn’t matter how many good things we have to share, how much God has gifted us, or how “right” we are about anything. If His love isn’t evident in us; and if we don’t openly love our neighbor as ourselves; then all our efforts fall to the floor like rotten, moldy fruit. This doesn’t mean we compromise our convictions. It just means that there is a godly way of presenting the truth. And of course, an ungodly way, as well. There’s the hard part.

We must reach out in love. We must follow Christ’s example. We cheapen our words, as precious as they may be, if our lives don’t reflect their value. God and all that He is, must be communicated to the world by the way we live and by the way we love.

My prayer for us all today is that God would be hallowed in us before the eyes of the world…

“And I will sanctify My great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes.” (Ezekiel 36:23)

Thank you, Katie.

11 Responses to “Living and Speaking the Truth in Love”

1. Bethany Hudson says:

That was beautiful. Thank you for living out your convictions with love. I'm certain Katie's is not the only soul that has been touched in this way by your ministry.

2. Katie B says:

Oh, Stacy, now you have made me cry and I like to think that is hard to do. The next time someone asks me how I can remain a Christian and allow myself to be associated with "those crazy people" I am pointing them here with no further comment.

3. Melanie says:

I really think that as a Christian I have the best life possible but over the past few days I had been thinking about how I portray that to others, esp. non believers. The Lord just kept on bringing to my mind the beautiful scripture in Corinthians chapter 13. I have read it many times, but this time something was different. Each word just came off the page and I had to ask myself how I measured up to God's word. Then to come to your blog and find this post just helped to drive home what He is trying to teach me at this moment.
    I do have a very firm conviction about right and wrong but now I am reminded that for a long time I was on the wrong side of those standards. How would I have felt if the Christians in my life would have treated me unkindly, without love? Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for the post. Have a blessed day.

4. Tonya says:

Thanks Stacy. Very timely for me. I do appreciate your ability to speak the truth in love. You are very real, very genuine. Thanks!

5. Susan says:

Wow! She is really willing to be honest. I struggle with bad feelings toward liberals and unbiblical Christians. So I can relate to her.
    I need that reminder to make sure to be loveing, through the HS, above being right.
    Susan

6. a humble servant says:

Well, I am brought to tears too this morning! Thanks Stacy, AND Katie! I am a little bit more "ok" today with being "one of those crazy people" if God gets even a tiny bit of glory! Smile.
    Amen!
    Carry on everyone!
    For Him!
    With love,
    Julie
    in Denver
    Psalm 73
    "When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered,
    I was senseless and ignorant;
    I was a brute beast before You….
    Yet I am always with You;
    You hold me by my right hand.
    You guide me with Your counsel,
    and afterward You will take me into glory.
    Whom have I in heaven but You?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides You.
    My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but You are the strength (ROCK! I looked it up!amen!) of my heart
    and my portion forever.
    Those who are far from You will perish;
    You destroy all who are unfaithful to You.
    But as for me, it is good to be near You.
    I have made the You, the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
    I will tell of all Your deeds."

7. Virginia Knowles says:

Stacy, I had a very similar positive experience this year with a distant cousin who is a very liberal Episcopalian. He was especially touched when I shared with him an excerpt from the Book of Common Prayer (late 1700's version) that our mutual ancestors — some of whom were Anglican clergy — would have known and loved. My cousin and I have never met one another; he tracked me down through a blog post I had done about my family history. Our e-mail correspondence only lasted for several days, but I think it was a sweetening time for each of us in how we view "the other side" — as real people with real needs and real dignity.

8. Jacque Dixon says:

Thanks Stacy. This was really good. What a great comment.

9. Joyful Marmee says:

What a beautiful post! How encouraging that someone who would disagree with conservative views is touched by love.

Sometimes, I think it just isn't worth it to give the truth. It seems like such an uphill battle and yet when we are faithful our Lord still works in hearts.

Thanks for your blog. You encourage this reader often.
    JoyfulMarmee

10. Mary says:

How wonderful! Thanks for posting it!

11. Abigail Wood says:

Just yesterday, I was reading a comment thread on a conservative Christian blog. Harsh words were spoken from both the atheists commenting, and the Christians. It broke my heart to see the fear, hurt, anger, and lack of understanding, expressed as cruelty. I am rarely sure how to respond to vitriol, so I clicked away in sadness and prayer.

But this post encourages me greatly. Katie is right, I think. The way forward is in love, and with mindfulness of our brother’s and sister’s in Christ, whatever they may believe.

Thank you both.