January 27, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Stacy’s Homemade Granola

Stacy’s Homemade Granola

10 C. oats
2 C. wheat germ (or coconut flour for a wheat-free option)
2 C. shredded coconut
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. chopped nuts (pecans are my favorite)
1 C. dried fruit (dates are my favorite)
1/2 -1 C. coconut oil (or other healthy oil – if you use olive oil, make sure it’s “extra light” or the olive flavor is too strong)
1/2 – 1 C. honey or maple syrup
2 tsp. real vanilla
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together all the ingredients except dried fruit. Use hands to mix well, pressing clumps together. Pour the mixture into shallow pans, spreading evenly. Toast at 275 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Stir occasionally. Turn oven off, stir in dried fruit, and let sit in oven for 30 minutes.

Themed Variations:

Tropical Granola: macadamia nuts and dried pineapple
Peanut butter Banana Granola: 2/3 C. peanut butter, dried banana chips (make sure you add the bananas after cooking or they’ll be too hard), and cashews or peanuts.

Autumn Harvest: Pecans, dates, and Maple syrup (in place of honey)
Yummy additions: raisins, pumpkins seeds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pecans, sunflower seeds, any kind of dried fruit, banana chips, chocolate chips, flax seed, peanut butter.

8 Responses to “Stacy’s Homemade Granola”

1. Anonymous says:

What a great recipe. About how many servings do you normally get out of this? Thanks so much for posting this.

Victoria

2. Amanda says:

This sounds so yummy! We’ll have to try it for my daughter, it will make a great “grab and go” snack. With her food allergies, it’s hard to find a variety of quick snacks. It sounds good to me too, I was craving something sweet and crunchy that was healthy also! We just found out we are expecting blessing #4 and I need to eat for two again!

It’s hard to say how many servings it makes, since different children eat different amounts. Plus, some of my children like to sprinkle it on their yogurt. However, it makes about a gallon of granola. I keep it in cereal shaped Rubbermaid containers.

Amanda – Congrats on #4! Praise the Lord!

I know what you mean about looking for healthy snacks. My older children have fond memories of homemade granola in dixie cups for snacks when they were little! It smells soooo good when it’s baking.

5. kymk99 says:

This recipe sound incredibly yummy! I can’t wait to give it a try.

6. Amanda says:

I finally had a chance to try this recipe! It was wonderful, and all my children loved it. It’s one thing I can actually eat right now. The house smelled so good while it was cooking, and with morning sickness in full swing that’s saying a lot;)

Blessings,
    Amanda

7. His Beloved says:

Will you share the Lady Jane and cranberry salad recipe you served at Books on the Path? I pray they are not family secrets because they were sooo good and I miss being able to get them.

Yes – let me see if I can dig that up for you!