January 13, 2009 by Stacy McDonald

Monday Night Supper

Tonight’s Menu:

– Homemade (Spelt) Lebanese flat bread
Herbed Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki sauce (Gluten free)
Shirazi salad (Gluten free)
– Rice (Gluten Free)

Stacy’s Shirazi Salad

10 diced Roma tomatoes
2 cucumbers diced and seeded (do not peel)
1/4 C. lime juice (or lemon juice)
1/4 C. olive oil
2/3 C. chopped parsley
1/4 C. chopped mint leaves (optional)
2 T. finely chopped red onion
garlic powder
salt and pepper

Serve side by side with warm basmati rice (I like to mix it together on my plate!).

My favorite way to eat the flat bread is to tear pieces off and dip it in the Tzatziki sauce.

This isn’t the exact recipe I used for the Tzatziki sauce, but I think I’ll try it next time. My recipe is below the video…

Tzatziki Sauce

2 cucumbers, peeled, chopped, and seeded*
16 oz. Greek style yogurt (laban works best)
2 T. chopped fresh garlic
2 T. chopped dill or mint
1/2 C. chopped fresh parsley
the juice of one lemon
salt and pepper (make sure you use enough salt)

Add the cucumber pieces to the food processor and pulse (on and off steadily) while spooning in the yogurt. Do not mix full blast! Add the remaining ingredients and gently mix until blended. Chill. Mine is still a little runnier than it’s supposed to be, but I don’t take the time to drain the yogurt (laban works best because it’s thicker and creamier).

Some people like to leave the cucumbers diced, rather than blended. Since I like to treat mine as a dip, I like it to be smooth.

*If you grate and salt the cucumber first, and then drain it on paper towels before blending, it keeps it from beingĀ  runny.

Lamb Burgers

2 lb. ground lamb
1/2-1 C. chopped onion
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Greek seasoning
2 T. fresh chopped mint
2 T. fresh chopped parsley
1-2 tsp. turmeric
fresh chopped garlic
curry powder (optional)
Sprinkle with sumac when cooked.

16 Responses to “Monday Night Supper”

1. Anonymous says:

Very interesting menu but how do you pronounce all these things? :)

Victoria

2. Step says:

Mmmm…mmmmm!!!! I just love Lebanese food and everything you made looks delicious! I think I’ll be making some kafta burgers sometime this week and try your salad recipe to go along with it. Thanks for sharing!

Tzatziki is pronounced za-zee-kee

Sharazi is pronounced sho-ro-zee

Lamb is pronounced…well you know. :-)

Step – sounds wonderful! Don’t forget the rice. I just can’t eat the salad without the rice. My family thinks I’m odd! LOL The salad is also good as a “salsa” on pita chips.

4. Anita says:

Love your menu!! It may make my menu in the next couple of weeks!! My tzatziki recipe says to drain the cucumber in a colander. That keeps the tzatziki from being so watery…Oh, I wish I had some now!

Love your blog and ministry. I am a 44 year old mom to seven children ages 24, 20, 16, 12, 9, 4 and 3 months and grandmom to 1 with the second grandson arriving in March. Our youngest son will have one nephew 15 months older and one nephew 5 months younger!

5. Daisy says:

Oh Man, I’m starving now. I’m not sure I can find ground lamb? I’m going to try though.

6. Mrs. U says:

Yum, Stacy!! These sound DELICIOUS!!! Any chance you would share the flat bread recipe?

His,
    Mrs. U

7. US says:

Stacy, I can’t wait to try this. I have been longing for gyros and this looks great. Would you mind telling me how you make and cook your burgers?

8. Erin says:

Do you have a flat bread recipe?
    And what are “Greek seasonings”? What combo would you use if making your own or can you buy “Greek seasonings?”

Thanks,
    Erin in FL

9. SeaRune says:

Sounds yummy! :)

10. Michele says:

Just a head’s up… I passed on a blog award to you. Thank you for your writing.

11. Karen says:

Funny you should post this – I was planning to bring tzatziki and pitas and a Greek-style veggie salad for our shared meal tomorrow! We must be in the same mood!
    :-)

12. Bri says:

Looks really tasty….we like spelt bread at our house, too!

13. Anonymous says:

What are Greek Seasoning and Greek Yogurt?

Melissa

Hi Erin and Melissa,

“Greek seasoning” would be a blend that can vary depending on who makes it. Here is a link to a good blend:

Mrs. U – I don’t have it typed up, but I’ll try to post that for you when I do.

15. Anna says:

Great photo. Looks delicious.

16. Elizabeth says:

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the recipie! We usually have to go out if we want middle eastern food. This one looks great.

Elizabeth