July 15, 2008 by Stacy McDonald

Just Say…Maybe?

We live in a society that tells children to “just say no” to drugs, but then insists they say “yes” to homosexual marriage. We are applauded as being understanding and compassionate if we support the “right” for a woman to murder her child; but in some states it’s a “hate crime” to teach what the Bible says about marriage. Spanking a child for sinful behavior is considered abuse by some; and allowing a 12-year-old girl to sue her father (and win!) for grounding her is supposed to be freedom. Just how are parents, who are bound and gagged, supposed to train their children?

It’s no wonder parents and leaders are confused over how to make principled decisions in their own families and then stick to them. Without Scripture as our guide, and the spirit of God to empower us, we are a people “tossed to and fro” (Ephesians 4:14); a people making decisions based on what seems right to us at the moment—what “seems right in our own eyes” (Judges 17:6). And so we have difficulty finding the confidence to say “no” and mean it.

Our families, as well as our country, need solid leaders who make decisions based on godly principles and conviction—and then consistently follow through. Many politicians promise us they believe one thing and assure us they will lead us in that direction; yet after they are elected, when they are accused of being intolerant, they cave.

Too many leaders care more about being popular than they do about leading. They don’t like to make people mad, so they give in to the largest and loudest crowd. Sadly, they are manipulated by the ever-changing desires of the people. How many pastors do the same? How many parents?

Last December, Gene Malone wrote in an article in the Kenosha News:

“Americans long for models of good citizenship, principle, leadership abilities that include the lost word, ‘no’ as a possible alternative to the ever permissive ‘yes.’

“Perhaps, ending abortions, outlawing massive public debts, reestablishing our national borders and a return to lawful immigration, discipline in the classrooms, a more polite culture with purpose and pride within families could be a few benefits brought about by the lost word ‘no.’

“Saying ‘no’ and then enforcing the decision in the private and public affairs would bring some order of the needless chaos today.”

Order, that’s what is needed. It’s needed in society and it’s needed in families. We need godly men who are willing to back up their words with action – to follow through with what they say they will do. To be faithful leaders, stable in all their ways. A leader like this, whether it’s a father, a pastor, or a politician, will find that those under his charge will trust him completely and will gladly follow his lead.

Golden is the word of a faithful leader; his yes means yes and his no means no (Matthew 5:37). His decisions are based on the Word of God and enforced by his faith in Christ. By the grace of God, a leader like this will shine with the brilliance of true and lasting wisdom. Oh merciful Father, give us bold, honest, unwavering, faithful, godly, leaders who will lead us in your Truth, without apology.

“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.” (James 1:5-8, NKJV)

11 Responses to “Just Say…Maybe?”

1. Marci says:

Stacy, may I quote portions of this and leave a link to your post on my blog?

2. Michelle says:

Thank you so much for you posts – it is so encouraging to know there are others in the country with the same convictions and desires, I believe graciously put on our hearts by a piteous Lord, for a more godly nation and culture, which requires godly leaders, as you stated in this posdt!!

The kids and I have studied Creation – Greeks this past year in history in school, which meant we mostly studied Israel’s history in the Old Testament. It has been a fascinating study to see similar cultures between the waywardly Israelites and Americans (nothing new under the sun!). It was such a blessing to the Israelites when they had a godly leader… and transversly, such a tragedy when they didn’t. But I was greatly encouraged as I read to see God, in his kind grace, would bring a godly leader to the people (in Judges, and a few times by way of the kings), through really no effort of the people!

O please, Lord, gift our young men with extraordinary leadership abilities out of your compassion and grace for those of us who desire to please you as a nation!!

3. Beth says:

I long for the day when this world’s leader will be none other than the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

In the meantime, do we vote “for the lesser of 2 evils?” or do we abstain because there is no one righteous to vote for?

4. Step says:

I completely agree. This post goes hand-in-hand with your previous “have it your way” post. Parents don’t stand up and say no anymore and when they do, situations like the father in Quebec happen. We now have judges backing up defiant children!!!!

True story that happen to me recently. I was chatting with a group of peers about what gadgets our 11yo children “need” for school. It seems their own cell phone, laptop, along with their own myspace account is the norm these days. You should have seen the look of horror when I said that my son would be getting none of the above. Seems I’m too hard on my poor children and dooming them to a life of unpopularity.

We need Godly parents and leaders willing to stand up to this sort of ridiculous thinking! We need to turn the cultural tide. Stacy, thank you for your insightful articles. I enjoy the fact that someone is out there that shares our beliefs.

Hi Marci – Sure – feel free.

Michelle – It is interesting how studying history opens our eyes to so much in our own lives and culture. Wait until you get into Roman history!

Hi Beth – I know your frustration. It seems like it’s an impossible choice. Praise God that He is sovereign.

Hi Step – You mean mother! ;-) Be careful, someone will starting saying you think cell phones and laptops are sinful and wicked and ask you for a chapter and verse. People are so reactionary when it comes to the things in their lives they love and depend on that they often don’t see the big picture – they miss the whole point. I’m glad you’re a thinking mother. Your children are blessed.

6. The Common Sense Mom says:

Stacy, I believe you touched upon an important point regarding the role of men in family and social lives.

I strongly feel that the Feminist Movement is directly related to the lack of strong male role models today. Of course, feminism has hurt our societies in many ways (abortion is just one example) but the break down of the family structure is a big one, if not the biggest issue as a result of the movement.

As for political strength and standing up for what is right…everyone is afraid to step on toes and (gasp) offend a certain culture, orientation, sex, etc. If a man in politics actually took a stand on some of the harding hitting topics today he would be branded a pig. He wouldn’t stand a chance. I pray for someone to rise up that will prove to be strong on the topics.

I’m currently writing a book and I have a fairly large section on the feminist movement and how it impacts the family structure. I hope someday to get it published and be “unpopular” and disliked by groups like NOW.

Thank you for your insight, you’re right on!

7. claimthemountain says:

This is an excellent article! Thank you for sharing it.

Excellent post, Stacy! True and vital.

Commonsense Mom, I’d say strong women are as much in demand these days as men are, when it comes to standing up for what’s right. I just finished an extraordinary book by Ann Coulter, in which she defended Christianity, personal rights, and even gave advice for Christians about avoiding societal ways and clinging to God instead. Her chapter on the worldly hatred of Jesus forced me to put the book down and spend the rest of the night reflecting on the joy of His divinity and the tragedy of the world’s rejection of it. Tomorrow, I plan on starting a wonderful book about the dangers of corrupt culture by Ilana Mercer, another amazing and ingenuis lady. Both these female authors are brilliant, bold-minded, and outspoken; I adore them for their wisdom and fearlessness in presenting it to the world. We need strong women like them right next to our men.

Speaking of wise women, Stacy, I just found out that your book “Maidens of Virtue” has lovely illustrations among its other points of beauty. This makes me all the more excited to own it; I can’t wait! :) Praise God for giving all His children unique and sufficient gifts to present His beauty to the world.

9. MandyMom.com says:

Great post. Just like kids, deep down, want a parent who disciplines and sets clear guidelines and inforces them with love, so do adults. And, just like kids- we think that we know it all, life is unfair, and “this” is how it should be done, but we would find ourselves much happier if we submitted to the control of God… and oh what a nation this would be if our leaders did so as well!

10. Brynna says:

What an awesome post! I really appreciated reading that!

11. Alexis says:

I agree Stacy the world is a mess. I used to be somewhat of a feminist till God convicted me to open my eyes at what the destruction feminism has really done to our society. While I’m a college student my true calling is to be a stay at home mother and homemaker and when I have my first child that’s the plan I pray to follow. It seems like our world is headed for the worst at this rate.