March 27, 2008 by Stacy McDonald

Learn the Catechism!

In our church, we are memorizing the Westminster Shorter Catechism together (ok – my children are doing a MUCH better job than I am). You’ll see this new widget in my sidebar, created by Every Good Path. Thanks, Mark! You can either put this wonderful tool on your own blog or website, or visit mine to read the weekly question and answer.

I encourage you to memorize the catechism, as well as teach it to your children; benefit from learning and teaching good, sound doctrine. Notice that Mark’s widget is interactive, another great tool for memorization!

I noticed some wonderful catechism resources here, at Peace Hill Farms; a good choice for parents being “Rediscovering Catechism and Training Hearts, Teaching Minds.

7 Responses to “Learn the Catechism!”

1. Amanda says:

Very interesting! I got to about question 17 before my brain started complaining. Big words. Must stop. (kidding)

God bless-
    Amanda

2. Cyndi Lewis says:

I marvel at how easy my children are able to memorize. I also remember being able to memorize things much better when I was younger. It is a lot more work now.

3. Mark says:

Hi Stacy, I’m glad to help out with the widget. I’m planning to add another soon showing various historical church creeds. Others available here feature Luther’s 95 Theses, Children’s Catechism, and the Bill of Rights. I’m interested in making more widgets and anyone can contact me with an idea. Blessings, -Mark

I’m with y’all! It’s amazing the memorizing capabilities of children. Too bad I was busy memorizing the theme song to Gilligan’s Island when I was a kid, rather than Scripture and the catechism!

5. Mary Moore says:

I just stumbled on your great website (am still looking around) when I saw this post. The director of the preschool my daughter attends made a music CD of the first 37 Q&As of the catechism. These are short, easy songs written by her to help kids learn it word for word. If anyone is interested in hearing a sample or buying a CD, just let me know. My email address is suitsmemoore@bellsouth.net

6. Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe says:

Oooh, I just saw the comment where somebody HAS thought up something where the children sing it! Cool!

7. Alithia Carey says:

I would so much rather my kids memorize bible truths that help hid His word in their hearts than knowing the title track of a popular cartoon.

I recently found a great resource for the First Catechism word-for-word/set to music as well. I don’t know if it’s the same as the one Mary Moore was referencing in an earlier post. It’s called “ask Me WhoOo”. You can find it at http://www.askmewhooo.com
    I am just a mom who found this and want to share the info. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have thus far.