September 18, 2007 by Stacy McDonald

Gloom, Despair, and Drudgery on Me!

A fish that is desperate to soar above the trees will find, in his rebellion against his Creator, that he is miserable and hopelessly unable to reach his dream. He will also find that he is unable to see the inestimable beauty and mysterious wonders found in the depths of the ocean.

Discontentment colors our attitude, hinders our health and energy, blinds us to our blessings, and affects our performance! Have you ever given a child a job and it seemed as if his entire body wilted upon hearing your instructive? What kind of job did he give you? Those who view their given tasks as oppositions to what they really “want” to be doing, are typically slow, whiny, and contentious—producing a sloppy or incomplete job.

On the other hand, have you ever given a task to a willing and eager son or daughter who poured themselves into what they were called to do? (It happens sometimes!) In their excitement, did they wind up going beyond your expectations? Typically, productivity, beauty, joy, and peace surround those who are willing and content to serve where they’re called. Not only is their attitude a blessing, but typically they are productive and industrious helpers—using creativity and ingenuity to complete the task before them.

When our desires are out of line with God’s orderly plan for His creation, we find that true peace is utterly beyond our grasp. If God has made you a wife and a mother, then He wants you to be passionate about being a wife and a mother. Pour yourself into your calling, knowing that He will equip you for every good work—even a magnificent one!

“That you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.” (Colossians 1:10, NKJV)

7 Responses to “Gloom, Despair, and Drudgery on Me!”

1. HomemakerAng says:

your recent articles are so awesome! this one too! God bless you! I have linked to you and posted some of your article’s on my blog but gave you credit and turned them back here. Thanks for saying what is always in my head MUCH more eloquently!
    xoxox
    Homemakerang

2. HomemakerAng says:

i meant my heart
    xoxox

3. The Gardner Family says:

Oh, I so agree with what you are saying. I wrote an article about this very thing for Above Rubies last year. For over 10 years I was miserable….discontent, unfulfilled, horribly depressed, physically ill. And all because I had ceased to be content in my home, with my role as a wife and mother. I was seeking to be fulfilled in being the best “minister” in my church. I had thrown away the joy of taking care of my home responsibilities in order to find fulfillment in church “ministry.” And the more I tried to find contentment, joy, and satisfaction in things outside my home, the unhappier and unhealthier I became. It was not until I began embracing my calling as a wife and mother that joy, fulfillment, and contentment returned to me. And I am now passionate about the fact that God created me to be a wife and mother, and I LOVE that role. It is the most amazing, most blessed job—-the most important ministry—that he could ever give me.

Blessings,
    Patti

4. The Gardner Family says:

I wanted to add a bit more to the comment I made earlier.

I truly believe that from the foundation of the world God “wired” women to thrive in their homes. That is how he made us, “programmed” us. Oh, we are fully capable of doing so many other things. But that does not mean we will be satisfied by doing them. There will always be an emptiness of heart when we are not following the plan that God laid out for us.

Sadly, that is what I see in so many women’s lives, including my own for over 10 years. We reject the very thing that God has given us for fulfillment, contentment, joy, and satisfaction, and then we wonder why we are so miserable. I believe it is because our spirits are SCREAMING at us to put our hearts and souls into our roles as wives and mothers. Sometimes, as in my case, that screaming of our spirit for God’s ways comes out in the form of depression and physical illness. By choosing to embrace God’s plan for me, I feel better than I have in years…and I am happier too.

Thanks,
    Patti

5. Bonnie says:

The principle you have so succinctly outlined in this post is so foundational. And I love the analogies! The fish soaring above the trees! And the view from the Father’s eyes when we wilt and chafe at the job He has designed for us. What a clear picture! Thanks again for a good reminder.

Bonnie in Florida

Hi Homemakerang – thanks for the link. I wanted to let you know I forwarded the question you emailed me to my husband and will get back with you privately.

Patti – thanks for the great testimony. I can relate to so much of what you said. I’ve often wondered how many cases of depression are linked to discontentment.

Hi Bonnie, thanks for visiting my blog. I visited your blog as well and noticed you have a Virginia Grace too! She is beautiful and I loved all the essays! Our Virginia Grace is only 6 years old!

7. Gratefulwife says:

What advice would you have for a lady fish whose gentleman fish would like her to soar above the trees?

MommaC