April 5, 2007 by Stacy McDonald
With the sale of Homeschooling Today magazine, Books on the Path, and our tea room in Texas, the pressure that was upon our family has greatly decreased. Praise the Lord! Yet, I still catch myself saying, “If only I had more time…”
Though I believe all Christians should be busy with the Lord’s work and we shouldn’t find ourselves with idle time, I do believe there is such a thing as being too busy. I just don’t think most people are as busy as they think they are – at least, not busy with things they should be doing. Here are a few things we can all pray that may help us to remedy this modern lament:
- Gaggle about town (via the car, telephone, or Internet), gossiping and slandering others.
- Complain about how little time I have.
- Worry about what people think of me as I obey God and mind my own business.
- Contemplate what “could have been” so that I grow discontent and covetous.
- Grow dissatisfied with my role as a wife and mother.
- Pursue selfish ambitions to the detriment of my family or the disregard of Scripture.
- Obsess over my weight, my looks, or growing old.
- Listen to the vain philosophies of the world regarding the training of my children.
- Watch a women’s talk show or soap opera.
- Read blogs that reveal the supposed sins of other Christians.
May I be so busy taking care of and enjoying that which God has given me, that it never occurs to me to covet that which belongs to my neighbor.
Lord, may I always have time to:
- Read and contemplate the Word of God.
- Pray and seek God.
- Repent and ask forgiveness from those I’ve offended.
- Believe the best of others and their motives.
- Trust God’s providence.
- Appreciate having a husband who loves me.
- Actively respect and please my husband.
- Love, train, and nurture my children, rather than giving them to others who may seemingly do a better job.
- Listen to my children and laugh at their jokes.
- Encourage other women to love their husbands and care for their families.
- Help those in need.
- Be thankful for the blessings of God.
If you have some “time” prayers you would like to add to this list, please comment!
By His Grace,